Feelin' Like a Corpse in the Corps

Feelin' Like a Corpse in the Corps

What's it like to be a FEMA Corps member? I'll tell you.

16

I'm in a strange place with strange people looking for an outcome that will be a beautiful chaos. Here's my team, Topaz 1, get things done and that's what we intend to do. I thought I was well equipped for my Ameri-journey, until I spent approximately 5 hours completing an presumably tell-all security clearance. As one of my service project sponsors used to say "it's just for politics", so my days are filled with uncertainty but I'm constantly reassuring myself that even the most unpleasant things I experience will make me whole. Numerous FEMA trainings I've endured & Ameri-regulations that are my newfound oaths. I'm being psychologically prepped, it's quite paradoxical how as Corps Members we are advised to stay grounded as possible but be flexible enough to perform to a satisfactory level. I'm having the time of my life, service work isn't luxurious yet worthwhile and heartwarming. I'm not the most service oriented/humanitarian person in the corps but I'm striving to be a decent human being. My family thinks I'm great, my friends think the same and even my fellow associates would agree that I'm a breath of fresh air. I think I'm awesome, I'm doing something that some young adults are afraid to do, serve. I'm still adulting, haven't left my grown up manual at home. Neither am I going to have a quarter life crisis, if anyone asks me "how's life?" Well I'm just chillin' living this thing called life.