FEMA Corps Supports The State Of Nebraska Recovery Efforts

FEMA Corps Is Getting Things Done!

4

FEMA Corps team, Topaz 1, based in Sacramento, California, is serving with FEMA at Region VII Joint Field Office in Lincoln, Nebraska. The team is supporting recovery efforts from severe winter storms and flooding that happened nearly a year ago. The team is assigned to departments such as Public Assistance, Environmental and Historic Preservation and External Affairs. Prior to Nebraska, the team was deployed to Guaynabo, Puerto Rico. They completed grant assistance tasks in the Public Assistance sector.

The team is actively engaged in serving FEMA and the community, completing site inspections, providing grant assistance, creating media analysis reports, writing press releases and articles. The team will be serving with local non-profit organizations, doing service-learning projects and recruitment events to promote the FEMA Corps program. Also, they are participating in Region VII FEMA Corps Mentoring Program, the team can develop their professional skills, seek mentoring from staff.

FEMA Corps provides members emergency management experience, with an emphasis on team collaboration and professional development. "Serving with FEMA has given me a better understanding on how the federal workforce operates and how my country responds to federally declared disasters," said Robert Nichols, FEMA Corps Member.