Once Again, America's Legal System Let's A Rapist Off The Hook

No More Excuses!

209
Mihai Surdu

Oh America's legal system, you never cease to disappoint me.

I don't know how many more times we need to see another rapist slip through the cracks before people decide that MAYBE we need to plug the holes.

In Stockton, California, resident scum Lyle Burgess plead no contest to the charges of raping a 5-year-old girl. In response, the judge sentenced him to 90 days on house arrest and 5 years of informal probation. For those of you who are unfamiliar with legal terms, entering a "no contest" plea means that you are neither confirming or disputing that the alleged events took place, they just don't wish to contest the charges. Let that sink in for a moment... a 79-year-old man would not confirm nor deny that he raped a 5-year-old girl. And the judge gave him probation...

I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I'm not. Now I'm just angry. Here's a cold, jagged pill that everyone needs to swallow... OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM HAS A MAJOR PROBLEM!

Brock Turner received a 6-month sentence for raping a girl behind a dumpster because "prison would be too hard on him". He only served three months and is now trying to get his verdict appealed. Austin James Wilkerson received no prison time and was allowed to return to the University of Colorado Boulder after being found guilty of raping an intoxicated female student on Saint Patrick's Day. Judge Jean Howard sentenced Sir Young to 45 days in jail after pleading guilty to raping a 14-year-old girl. She justified this by saying she "wasn't the victim she claimed to be", citing the fact that the young woman had three sexual partners prior to her rape, and had given birth as a result of the mitigating factors. And yet, Cyntonia Brown is serving a life sentence. Ms. Brown is a victim of sex trafficking and was purchased by a 49-year-old man in Texas when she was 16 and he assaulted her repeatedly. She shot him out of fear for her life and was found guilty of murder and prostitution.

I am tired, I am tired of all of it. I am sick of this "boys will be boys" excuse. I am a young man, and my parents raised me to be respectful and kind to women, they taught me that consent is the most important thing to have when you are having sex with someone. I believe that men have a duty to combat this. We need to stand up and say that this is wrong and expose our peers if we know that something like this happened. As a member of a fraternity, my brothers and I will not stand by and watch this happen. We've pledged to hold everyone accountable and to take action when we see it happen.

NO MORE EXCUSES!