Who Is Really Taking Americans' Jobs

Who Is Really Taking Americans' Jobs?

A perspective on how technology and its speeding evolution are slowly replacing people in the American job market.

537
Produce, grocery store, fruits, vegetables, people

Seeing that there was no food in her fridge, Rosa decided to go to the grocery store. And when she walked into the store, one of the first things she noticed was the large images of farmers and laborers picking fruit. The signs ensured that not only their food was fresh, but also that they were freshly picked. After staring at this for a couple of seconds, she then continued doing her shopping.

After shopping around the store for about 45 minutes, Rosa headed for the check-out line, and listened to the chatter of people in the store, from those talking about bitcoin, to others discussing who slept with who on what show. She continued doing this until she felt a disrupting tap on her shoulder. "Put your stuff on the belt!" the man said behind her, as there was no one in front of her in the check-out line. And swiftly noticing this, she then started loading her items on the conveyor belt as fast as she could, making the cashier smile.

"Starstruck?" he asked her jokingly, making her face turn red with embarrassment. "Sorry I just was thinking about something else, and-" she was trying to say when he said, "No, it's fine". She then looked down to the ground until all of her groceries were scanned and packed. "I'm George by the way," the cashier said to her. "I'm Rosa" she responded quickly and jammed her credit card into the card reader. Silence then ensued as her card was charged and grabbed her bags. George waved to Rosa as she then picked up her bags and quickly left the store. However, seeing George, she stopped, smiled, and walked towards her car. And after that, she went to the grocery store every week.

However, one day, when she arrived at the store, saw something strange. When she walked into the store, she saw that the images of the farmers and laborers picking the fruit had been taken down. "Why were those pictures of people picking the fruit removed?" she asked George. "Well, that would be because people are now using machines that work 10 times faster than humans. And because the company was making this transition, they felt it would be best to take those down" he explained. "But won't those people in the pictures lose their jobs," Rosa asked. "Yes, but I'm sure that they'll find something else to do" he replied. Rosa was troubled by this answer, but brushed it off, and left the store.

A couple of weeks later, she discovered an even more strange transition at the store. When looking out from the store parking lot, she couldn't see any taxis, ubers, or public transportation which was very weird to her. She had always seen the many taxis and buses driving around in front of the store when observing the road. However, like normal, she walked into the store and continued her shopping.

"Don't you think that it's so cool that they have driverless cars now?" George asked her when she was checking out. "Yeah, but I don't see any taxis or buses anymore," she said back. "Well, eh, that's the future right?" he said, and in response. "But, if the future keeps on going like this won't more and more people lose their jobs," Rosa asked. "Yeah, but all of this new technology makes everything much more efficient. Also, you can't get driverless cars drunk" George said, making Rosa laugh

"Anyway, are you free this weekend? I know a great Italian place that serves great pasta" George asked Rosa. And hearing this, she froze for a couple of seconds and excitedly said yes. They had agreed to meet after the end of George's shift next Sunday.

And when Rosa that next Sunday walked into the grocery store, she could not find George. In fact, she couldn't find any cashier either. Instead, she saw self-checkout machines in place of the cash registers.

Then, seeing a man that was an employee of the store, she asked him "what happened to all of the cash registers and cashiers?". He answered, explaining how "it was more efficient for there to be self-checkout machines in the store, and it saves more money".

"Well, what about the cashiers?" Rosa then remarked.

"Oh they all got laid off," he said, because "since the store was going to use self-manned checkout machines, they wouldn't need cashiers anymore".

Hearing this, she became upset, walked outside, then stepped into her driverless car. "Siri, take me home," she said, and the car started, and drove out of the parking lot. As the car was driving her home through the downtown area, she had a vision that quickly filled her eyes.

In this vision, she saw that as more people disappeared, the more advanced technology had gotten. She had noticed how at coffee shops, there were no baristas anymore, simply coffee making machines. And as she passed by restaurants, she saw that robots replaced waiters, and were serving their customers' food. This violent transition of job loss and technological evolution continued until she couldn't handle it anymore. She cried until her driverless car arrived at her house.

After getting out of the car slowly, being shaken by the vision, she heard a notification go off and checked her phone. The subject of the email she received read "Termination Notice".

For Further Reading:

Robots: Is your job at risk?

Robots Have Been Taking American Jobs

Technology Has Already Taken Over 90% Of The Jobs Humans Used To Do

Technology could kill 5 million jobs by 2020