"American Horror Story: Cult" Is A Political Satire

A review of the finale and overall season of "American Horror Story: Cult"

130
FX Networks

"American Horror Story" has wrapped the final episodes of one of their most Twisty seasons yet. Cults, clowns, and crazy all color this season in uniform "American Horror Story" fashion, but a season that began as a satire on the political divide of our country and grew into a conversation about the gender divide and feminism was a rather amusing phenomenon to witness; However, one of the major failings of the season, and "American Horror Story," is its inability to craft a story that targets the many intersections that people embody.

The show's conversation on the political divide was warmly welcomed, but the topic of gender, specifically male and female, overshadows this conversation in the final episodes. It’s not that the conversation on gender was inherently a bad thing, but it’s the fact that the conversation became meditation of the duality of the male and female genders, a terribly hetero-normative approach to the conversation. After our recent election, this debate is one presented before to the American people and is the fuel to the flame for the making of this season of "American Horror Story;" Nevertheless, the story could’ve expanded upon the divide and could have been more inclusive in trying to destroy the divide by including more characters of differing backgrounds like transgender, non-binary, etc. The inclusion of more complex characters could have been the red nose to complete this season full of clowns and cults.

The issue with dealing with shows based off actual events is the fear of expanding the scope of the conversation being made, and for "American Horror Story: Cult" this works well in its favor making it one of the most cohesive seasons of the show. But cohesion leads to the loss of creativity. Another aspect that is usually praised by all the fans but was lost in the sea of realism and bloody clown faces was the inclusion of supernatural beings. Perhaps supernatural beings were avoided to keep the focus on realism and the story at hand, but for many viewers this ruined the experience. The exclusion of the supernatural could also have been done to play upon one of the show’s most pervasive messages: the only true monsters are mankind.

What would "American Horror Story" be without its references? Many of the references were much subtler, aside from the reappearance of Twisty the clown in the first episode, and the line about Lana Winters was enough of a call back to show major connection to the rest of the seasons.

"American Horror Story: Cult" was an intricate bundle of madness, and could possibly serve as a return to a better series.