Amazing Dog Stories

20 Really Good Stories About Dogs Being Amazing If Hooman Politics Has You Depressed AF

Forget hoomans and their political agendas. Dogs are where it's at.

645
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoR58OIFdUo/?taken-by=thegoldenaudi
@thegoldenaudi/Instagram

Politics are crazy in general, but with the upcoming election next month, politics have been a hot topic now more than ever. What we all love, though, is a good dog story.

Here are 20 stories to get your mind off of everything political in the world.

1. "I made sure he hadn't hurt himself before laughing..."

"I was using a retractable leash and walking my dog down my street that doesn't have a sidewalk. He saw a rabbit run across the street and he took off after it. He got almost all the way across when I locked the leash which caused him to slide across the cement... into a parked car. I heard the thump of him hitting the front bumper over my earbuds. He continued to slide under the bumper and came to rest against the tire. He laid there for a couple seconds before trying to go for the rabbit again. I made sure he hadn't hurt himself before laughing and continuing our morning walk."

2. "What's it take to get a refill around here?"

"When Annie was about 3 months old she came with me to visit my family for the weekend on the other side of the city. I brought her food, but we just used some Tupperware to put her food and water in the back bathroom away from my parents' dogs' food and water in the kitchen.

We were all sitting and talking in the living room. Annie wandered into the bathroom, presumably to get some food/water. A few minutes later she comes trotting into the living room, shaking her head, and plops down on the floor and stares at us, with her empty water bowl in her mouth. Everything about her movements/posture said that she was thinking, 'What's it take to get a refill around here?'

3. "He looked so proud when he finally did it."

"My dog is a lab so, naturally, he loved to fetch tennis balls. The first time we gave him two balls at once, he was torn between them so he spent 20 minutes trying to fit both in his mouth. He looked so proud when he finally did it."

4."... She just nudges it until you attempt to throw it."

"My dog likes to play fetch with tiny objects. She has brought me a blade of grass, a tiny stone, blossom, a seed, stuff so small that it just sticks to her tongue and she has to lick you a few times to get it to stick to your leg. Then she just nudges it until you attempt to throw it."

5. "... an office dog named 38 Cents"

"My sister is a veterinarian and they once had an "office dog" named 38 Cents because that's how much change they recovered from his stomach."

"... eating the entire pizza from the box."

"Years ago (before my husband and I met), he had a neighbor help him install a doggie door and then they proceed to try to get his dog, Tucker, to use the doggie door. The neighbor goes outside with a dog treat in hand and my hubby stays inside coaxing Tucker out the door. Tucker's not having it. Since Tucker is a very food oriented dog, hubby goes and gets a slice of pizza from the pizza that was just delivered. He goes outside with the slice of pizza and now he and the neighbor are trying to tempt Tucker out with the food. Still, he's not coming out. What?! Tucker loves food! What gives? They open the flap to see what's going on and Tucker, having now gotten them both out of the house, is up on the coffee table eating the entire pizza from the box."

7. "It was a mixture of guilt, embarrassment, and shock."

"Winston has always had pretty bad separation anxiety. When he was about 6-8 months old, my downstairs neighbor said he had started howling when I was gone. I had never heard him howl.

One day, I got home from work early and I must've been quieter than usual because when I walked in the door, he didn't greet me. I heard the howl coming from the bedroom in the back of the apartment. I walked in the room, watched for a minute, then cleared my throat.

He stopped mid-howl and looked at me with the most "busted" expression on his face. It was a mixture of guilt, embarrassment, and shock. I could not stop laughing.

According to the neighbors, he stopped howling after that."

8. "He's a hero!"

"I stopped at 7/11 on my way home from the dog park with Brody. I left him in the car with the windows down, as I have frequently in the past 3 years. When I came back out, he was gone! I panicked and called him. He ran over to me, but when I opened the car door and told him to get in, he took off and ran behind the store. I followed him because this was very out of character for him.

I found him sitting by a dumpster being hugged by a 10-year-old boy. I tried to ask his name, he didn't say a word. I called the police. It turns out someone in the neighborhood called in a missing autistic child. He's a hero!"

9."... I couldn't even keep a dog safe for two days."

"I adopted my dog from the shelter when I was finishing grad school. I was driving through campus one day with him in the car and had to drop off some paperwork (this was seriously like the second day I had him) so I parked in front, cracked a window MAYBE 5 inches, and ran inside. Couldn't have been 5 minutes, I come back, and my dog is gone. Obviously, I was really upset, thinking I couldn't even keep a dog safe for two days. I called campus security and told them to keep an eye out and began looking around myself. A few minutes later, a girl comes out of the building I had gone into carrying my little dog. He had tried to follow me into the school when he saw me go, somehow squeezing himself through the tiny gap in my window, and made it inside when the girl found him. I couldn't even be mad, it was so cute."

10. "and had swallowed it before I knew what happened."

"One time I had a cookie that my dog wanted. I wasn't going to give it to him, but as I sat down in a chair in my living room, he leapt off the ottoman from about 8 feet away, snatched it out of my hand in mid-air, and had swallowed it before I knew what happened. Didn't even touch my fingers. I was left with the pinch my fingers were holding."

11. "... and the boy bursts into tears and tries to come with us."

"We were walking at the park one day and a man and his little chubby two-year-old were coming toward us on the path. The boy looks really interested in Scout, so the dad (who seemed to only speak Spanish) looked to me and gestured to my dog, so I made her sit and let the kid come to pet her and it was just the sweetest thing. She sat so nicely and the Dad told the boy how to pet her, and he gently pet her head and her side and was just enamored with her. Scout was so good. She gave him a tiny lick and just sat patiently, loving it. So the kid just keeps petting and petting, and the dad's going "Vámonos!" and the kid just keeps petting her. So after a little bit longer, I tell him we have to go, and tug Scout along with me and the boy bursts into tears and tries to come with us. The dad had to pick him up to get him to stop following us. It was kind of sad to have to leave that poor kid crying, but it was sweet that my dog could transcend language barriers and make a connection like that with a child."

12. "I figure the ghost of Christmas past is coming to get us..."

"I went hiking with my pup the other day through an old abandoned military fort. It's covered in interesting graffiti and really cool to walk through. The fort is also supposedly very haunted. There are no lights in this place and we enter a pitch black hallway that is relatively short so we decide to go through.

Halfway through, in the complete darkness, my dog starts going ballistic at something, which was scary in itself because I have the happiest-go-lucky dog. He's snarling and barking in this one direction and is refusing to move as a desperately pull on his leash. I figure the ghost of Christmas past is coming to get us and we are going to die because my dog thinks he is a ferocious lion that can take it on. Somewhere in this panic, I decide to turn on the flash light app on my phone.

It was a big rock, about knee high. Once he saw what it was, he turned and gave me that famous smiling puppy face. We carried on our merry way."

12. "Did you really think I wouldn't figure that out?"

"My current dog is a little shit. I love him dearly, but he's too smart for his own good (poodle/terrier mix and he got the worst qualities of both). I got him when he was 8 weeks old from the local shelter. The second day we had him we put him in his kennel and left for about an hour. We came home to find he'd dismantled his kennel and had clawed his way onto the couch (he was too small to jump). We figured it was a fluke and the next time made sure all the latches were shut. He did it again. I later observed him putting both feet in the door to lift it up and then pushing out with his nose to slide the gate out of the kennel. He has an enormous amount of energy and is obnoxious so a few weeks later (about 16 weeks old) I got him one of those puzzle balls that releases treats slowly. I gave it to him, turned around to do something, and then turned back around to find him sitting there, all the treats at his feet, and a smug look on his face like, "Did you really think I wouldn't figure that out?"

14. "I've never seen anything like it."

"I have a Treeing Walker Coonhound named Lizzy who I rescued about 3 months ago. She was shy at first but has obviously come into her own goofy self. I walked down the stairs one morning and found her on the counter, which is a 3-foot high one, but she doesn't have a problem getting on a 4-foot high one we have in the house. Anywho, she was sitting on the counter, looking out the window at our neighbor's dog, and drinking my father's coffee. I've never seen anything like it."

15. "I ended up paying for a lot of drinks."

"I have my dog at an outdoor cafe, sitting with my friends enjoying a beer in the sun. His leash is wrapped around my thigh. Some guy comes down the street walking a ferret on a leash. Drogo has never seen one before and he lunges for it. Now, I'm a big guy, 200 pounds. He gets the leash around the leg of the table and flips it over, I'm dragged along. Me and table get the next table as well. He literally throws the entire patio into chaos. The man with the ferret has scooped it up and is running away. Drogo is trying to drag me and the mess of tables and chairs down the street after him. I ended up paying for a lot of drinks, and he lost his cafe pass."

16. "He didn't have to protect me, but he did and knew how to."

"One of my best memories of my 1st Aussie is when he saved me from a dog trying to attack me. We were out for a walk on a quiet street that went to some trails. A large lab had escaped his yard and decided he didn't like me. It was odd because he was only interested in attacking me not my dog. My dog was off leash maybe 10 feet in front of me and stopped when he saw the dog coming at us. Every time the dog lunged, he blocked him. The dog tried to circle and get behind me and my dog continued to block him. Eventually, a car came by and actually pushed the dog away with the car. The person opened the car door and my dog and I jumped in. My dog only ended up with minor scratches. The owners of the other dog decided to put him down when they found out what happened. I think it was pretty brave of my dog and intelligent too because he was off leash, he didn't have to protect me but he did and he knew how to. The other dog was also a good 20 lbs bigger, but that didn't matter."

17. "Well, now he thinks it's the greatest thing."

"One of my favorite stories was with my wolfhound/husky pup that happened just the other night. He had thrown up and was really thirsty so he kept going to the shower to try to find water (good boy stayed out of the toilet!). He didn't want to leave me, so he wouldn't go downstairs. So I turned on the bathroom tap, put his paws on the counter and let him drink.

Well, now he thinks its the greatest thing."

18. "... the look of surprise on her face was classic."

"We adopted Atticus in May and trained her vigorously in time for the summer camping season. Her recall was excellent but we decided to get a game of frisbee in before dark and didn't want to have to worry about her wandering during the game, so we tied her to a lawn chair and put down her blanket so she could snooze. I should mention she's previously neglected, mistreated and was a breeder for a large puppy mill in Louisiana before coming to us. That being said, she spooks easily. She must have woken up and jiggled the lawn chair because that was enough for her to take off across the entire campground with this freakin' chair trailing behind her. Obviously, we felt terrible that she'd been so scared, but the look of surprise on her face was classic. She eventually snagged her chair in a bush, lucky for us because even with a folding chair attached to her, that dog is FAST. We'd still be chasing her."

19. "... my dog had stolen a pear!"

"One day my girlfriend and I were outside a fruit and vegetable shop discussing what to buy. My girlfriend went in and I walked off with the dogs. I suddenly realized the small one was very quiet and walking nicely (which is always suspicious) so I looked down to see the end of a pear vanishing down her throat! I wanted to go back and pay for it but I just couldn't stop laughing at the idea of having to explain to the shopkeeper that my dog had stolen a pear!"

20. "It was so random and so sudden."

"When my dog was a year or so old, my mom and I were sitting in the living room watching TV. My dog ran up, jumped on my mom's lap (which wasn't uncommon because he liked to be a lapdog), stood up with his paws on her chest, and promptly peed all over her. It was so random and so sudden. I found it hilarious, but my mom not so much!"

*Responses were edited for clarity and grammar.