I Am Tired Of Being What Everyone Else Needs Me To Be

I am only one person.

42

Have you ever experienced that overwhelming feeling of not being good enough? Of having everyone in your life breathing down your neck with their various expectations of you? If you have, you know it gets old quickly. This feeling may not come often, but when it presents itself, it is like a tidal wave. A tidal wave of frustration that leaves you wanting to throw your hands up and scream “I can’t do this anymore”. I am only one person. I am human. But sometimes as humans we forget this concept and turn to our selfish ways, expecting everyone else to cater to us. But honey, the world doesn’t work that way, and I was not put on this Earth to be what you need me to be.

To the friend that expects me to drop everything for them or to lend a shoulder to cry on, I want you to know that I don’t mind this, but you have to be realistic. I take pride in being a good friend, but I also can’t be there 24/7. Just know that I will be there when it counts.

To my parents who push me to be the best version of myself, I want you to know that I appreciate where this is coming from. I know you have huge hearts that love me unconditionally. You only want what’s best for me, but it’s okay to let me figure things out on my own. I know I tend to do things the hard way and that I’ve made mistakes, but I am human and I am learning.

To the boy that only wants me when it’s convenient, I want you to know that I wouldn’t talk to you if I didn’t like you, but I don’t want to be a back-up plan. I understand that life is busy, but I think it’s better to have someone to do life with. I am not here just for your convenience and to be whatever casual thing you want. You are human, as well as me, and we both share feelings. This is just something to keep in mind.

And while the list could go on of all the things people say and do that tiptoes across that line of being too much, there is no need to drone on. What is important to note here is that we are all human. We make mistakes, we surprise ourselves and we are capable of great things. I may not be what you expected or what you asked of me, but I am what I needed to be for myself. And that’s what matters.