I Am The Girl Who Always Has More Guy Friends Than Girl Friends

Its kind of awesome.
17

I think I've always been this way. Since about fifth grade on, it always seemed like I had a lot of guy friends and only one or two close girl friends. I used to think it was because I had many similar interests with the boys of my age--sports, computer games, and those tiny skateboards that you rolled over everything. The girls in my grade were more into Hollister, boyfriends, and Webkinz, and I just wasn't as crazy about it.

I distinctly remember playing flag football with the boys in elementary school, instead of sitting and watching with the girls. I played on an all-boys basketball team in middle school, instead of playing soccer like all my girl friends. I was usually sitting with boys at lunch, instead of the girls. The list goes on and on.

And although there were definitely times that I was in a friend group full of girls, the majority of the time that was not the case. It wasn't that I didn't get along with girls, or that I couldn't relate to them, it was just easier around guys. In ways, they are easier to talk to, to be around, to feel comfortable around. There's no gossip or judgment, there's no petty arguments, and there's a lot less drama.

And don't get me wrong, I still have a few close girlfriends here at school and back home, but more boys in both groups (Sorry Dad haha!) I just have always had more guy friends than girl friends. And its been awesome, I always have someone to text when I need help with my car, when I don't know what to get a guy for a gift, and when I want to play on my Xbox (yes, stereotypical I know). But more than that, they are great friends. They are honest, they don't care about clothes or makeup, and they don't get weirdly competitive (I think my middle and high school years scarred me a little bit when it comes to girls.)

I love having all my guy friends, but I also love having a few girlfriends. I need rom com nights, help curling my hair, and a girl's opinion on new outfits. These are what girlfriends are for. I need book suggestions, cute mugs, and shopping dates. I need sleepovers and GNO's and makeovers. As much as I love my boys, I need my girls. But I have high standards for those girls I have in my life (wink wink).

You can never underestimate having guy friends and you can never underestimate having girlfriends. Although I have more guy friends, I value my girlfriends just the same and my life wouldn't be complete without either of them.