I Am Not My Flaws

I Am Not My Flaws

I am more than them.

27
Quotes Gram

Loving yourself is an extremely difficult concept to grasp. Sure, you have your days where you feel confident and ready to tackle the world, but most people struggle with the problem of low self-esteem on a daily basis. From a young age, I knew that I had flaws. When you're little you don't really care about the size of your jeans or your blouses, but I did. I have struggled with body positivity and self-image for most of my life, and I find myself pointing out all of the negative things about my body more than I find myself pointing out the positive things that make me who I am.

In a world that is deeply involved with the media, it's hard to fully accept yourself when you are presented with a woman or man who looks nothing like you, but is considered to be "desirable." Over the years I've noticed that I often compare myself to these desirable figures and I am constantly let down with the differences between us. When I see a woman who radiates self-confidence, I wish that one day I will be able to be like her. The amount of times that I have wished this is uncountable, and I am ready to make this wish a reality -- starting now. I am not my flaws.

I need to start realizing that looks are not the sole thing that makes up a person. I have been dissatisfied with what stares back at me when I look at my reflection for as long as I can remember, but now I refuse to see myself as anything less of what I am. When I look in the mirror, I see a woman about 6'0'' in height. Long blonde hair drapes her shoulders and back, and freckles are scattered around her face. Her waist is not a size 2, but she is healthy and strong. Although I may not have what is considered to be the "perfect" body, I now realize that my body is a temple and I must cherish it with all I have. It is the thing that allows me to live on this Earth, and I should appreciate its functions day in and day out.

I know that the phrase "it's what's on the inside that counts" is extremely cliché, but honestly it's true. A person is so much more than what they portray on the outside, and I feel as though that is often forgotten. I am not just my looks; I am strong in character and dignity. My mind is intelligent and always looking for more information to learn. My heart is big and its love is unconditional. I am persistent in my actions, and my drive to succeed has never been more powerful.

Am I a perfect human being? Absolutely not. Nobody is. Do I make mistakes? Of course, but I'm done letting those mistakes define my own self-image. I'm over seeing my flaws and only my flaws. I am sick and tired of not accepting myself for the person that I am. I'm finally letting go of the negativity, and instead I am choosing to embrace my flaws, for I wouldn't be the person I am today without them.