I Am Not A Millennial

I Am Not A Millennial

Combatting the Rants Against Millennial College Students

65
I Am Not A Millennial

Facebook posts today seem to be filled with angry rants about those darn millennials that are ruining America. Posts refer to the awful college students, sitting on their phones all day with no direction in their life, holding rallies to protest things they aren’t willing to work to change and claiming they are entitled to things they’ve never worked for.

I am here to announce something that may shock many people: The majority of college students are not millennials.

The last of the millennials were born around 1994 and make up most of today’s young adult workforce and parents of young children. The majority of millennials were born in the 1980s and have long since left college.

So who are the college students?

People born between 1995 and 2012 (these are estimated amounts; generations aren’t a precise science) are known as iGen or Generation Z. And yes, we use electronics more than previous generations and grew up more supervised and protected by our parents. And we do tend to fight for things we don't believe in.

But we aren’t the ones who were raised to think we were special and are throwing fits when there aren’t jobs – people who do that tend to be the those who are already in the workforce, and we aren’t. Collectively, those who belong to Generation Z are less optimistic about their future careers and realize the difficulties they may have in getting these jobs.

There are also some great qualities about us that should be recognized and appreciated.

We make up one of the most tolerant generations – we accept people of different cultures, races, sexual orientations, religions, etc. We tend to be more cautious and less prone to risk-taking behavior, and we are independent thinkers, striving for innovation and fighting for what’s right, not what’s said should be done because it's socially or politically acceptable.

But the most important thing for people to notice is that the characteristics that describe a generation do not describe everyone in it. Not all Generation Z people have given up reading books; not all millennials are only focused on having fun; not all members of Generation X are cynical; not all baby boomers are anti-government; and not all traditionals don’t value individualism. It’s important to get to know people of each generation without predisposed biases held against them.

Otherwise, ageism clouds our vision and ruins our chances for collaboration and to learn from one another. People of all ages and experiences have the wisdom to offer one another, and if we work together, we can create a better world for all of us to live in.