For Anyone Who Has Been Told To "Toughen Up"

For Anyone Who Has Ever Been Told To 'Toughen Up'

Your meekness is not a weakness.

528

The emphasis placed on individuality in today's society encourages its members to cultivate a certain level of self-esteem that requires a sort of defensiveness to maintain. We are respected for winning arguments by using sharp words, proving our importance by showing little mercy, and demonstrating our wisdom by passing carefully constructed judgments on others. All of which dictate that a certain level of compassion must be disregarded to be considered a success. As much as the world needs strong, successful people, it needs those who are gentle just as much as it does those who are bold.

To anyone who has ever been told that they needed to "toughen up" if they want to get anywhere in life, heed that advice. Be tough enough to remain charitable in a cruel world. Be tough enough to be too forgiving even when circumstances are not. Be tough enough to take harsh criticisms and respond with a smile. Be tough enough to stand by your decision to hold your tongue or open your mouth and speak your truth. If you want to progress in life, be tough enough to decide for yourself what this world needs you to be.

Growing up as an only child, I held the undivided attention of two devoted parents. The security that I felt throughout my childhood allowed me to develop without an all-consuming desire to prove myself the best in every situation I found myself in, and feel safe in my introverted tendencies. As a result of being more observant than outspoken, I came to realize that the origin of my own self-esteem was not valid to the rest of the world, and that understanding turned my mind to the correlation between respect and the treatment of others. Taking notice of small indications that someone had been hurt, embarrassed, or made uncomfortable by the words or actions of others in my everyday life resonated with me; I felt connected by shared experience to those who quietly stifled their own thoughts. My belief in being "soft" stems from the comprehension of the power that resides exercising empathy and vulnerability to those in need of a reminder of what human kindness looks like.

Contrary to popular belief, practicing compassion is not synonymous with allowing yourself to be taken advantage of. Acting in compassion is an executive virtue that employs patience and the same amount of conscious effort it would take to yell at the server who forgot your fries as it would to smile at him and say "No worries, I know how it is sometimes". Respect and definition of character can be attained by humbling yourself and reassuring another person of their validity and significance rather than cutting them down to affirm your own.

As we look at those we admire for the attributes they possess, we often overlook those that we would describe as "considerate", "quiet", or "soft". In doing so, we disqualify and undervalue individuals who possess talents to reach people in a manner that is not dependent on a reputation that precedes them, but solely on the purity of their character which is sustained by benevolence.