This is what Alzheimer's has done.

Alzheimer's May have taken Your Memory, But Not Your Spirit

The same hand that once held a spoon to my mouth, I now hold to her's.

1462
Photo by Fabiola GarcĂ­a-Morales
Photo by Fabiola GarcĂ­a-Morales

You were one of my greatest role models and still are. You taught me so many things that I know until this day, and you took care of me as if I were your another daughter of yours.

I was always intrigued to hear your love stories, your childhood shenanigans, and your advice that I did not realize how important and accurate it was until this day. You were always up and going, you didn't have to wait for anybody because you got things done.

You loved car rides, sunsets, and you were the walking epitome of feminism while downing a glass of wine or a whiskey on the rocks.

Your can-you-come-here's slowly began turning into "come here" and before I knew it, all of those words were gone and you were stuck trying to find the right ones to come out.

Your independence was long gone. We had to feed you, bathe you, and put you into bed. It breaks my heart to see you at the end of the dinner table struggling to form sentences and I attempt to finish them for you.

You may not recognize me or know my name now, but you turn your head and smile at me whenever you hear my voice. When I sang songs to you, you told me I was a good singer but now you smile and clap to the beat of the music.

When you brushed my hair, you admired my curls and told me how much I looked like my mother.

When I hold the brush to your mane, I realize how much wisdom you have attained through the years and how much I wish I could have all of it. Your hair is white as snow but pure just like you.

There are days when it's difficult when I get frustrated but I know this is not your fault and you would not want your loved ones to go through this like you used to tell me.

You told me you would never see the day when I would go into college. And here you are, and I will tell you all about my overall experiences until I graduate.

I'm glad you could still walk and that you enjoy staring out the same window watching cars pass by. I know you would like to be them. Instead, you just lay down and sing the songs you loved when you were young and in love.

I know you remember your childhood and you still see me as a little girl, you just can't find the right words and that's okay.

You clap, you dance, you sing your songs, you whistle, you give hugs, kisses, and all the love in the world just as I remember when I was younger.

Alzheimer's does not define you. It may have made you forget so many beautiful things, but at least you can remember what was most memorable to you and that's okay. I do mourn your mind even though you are still here with me, I feel like I lost you many years ago.

I am going to make the best of your time here with the little you can remember.

Let's sing a favorite song of your together, and let's hug a little longer until life definitely takes me away from you.

I love you.