Alzheimer's Is Not A Natural Part Of Aging

Memories matter and nobody should have to go through this.
606

Alzheimer's isn't a common word people will hear in their lives. Alzheimer's is a scary word because the results are the loss of loved ones who have also lost or are losing their memory. Many Alzheimer's disease support groups or charities work to inform the young people of today to be more aware of the effects of this disease that may affect them one day.

Alzheimer's is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States and is the only disease that does not have a way to slow the process or a cure.

Did you know women are more likely to get Alzheimer's than men?

My grandfather, unfortunately, lost his life about 13 years ago. He had a brain aneurysm that led to him having an awful form of dementia.

He forgot how to feed himself, he forgot how to use the restroom, but thank God for my grandma because she kept him going for so many years after his diagnosis.

My great-grandmother was also diagnosed with dementia, but not until her old age. My uncle, too, has Alzheimer's. He's about 67 and he doesn't know who I am, who my grandma is, and he forgot he was at his own wife's funeral. I remember he looked at me and said, "Have you seen Sondra Vores?" He had already forgotten we were just at her funeral. Bless my cousin Allison for making sure he has the right care to keep going.

My grandmother also has Dementia. She just turned 77 on February 6th and she's lived in a small town in Indiana her entire life. I remember my mom telling me how my grandma forgot how to get home in this town she was born and raised in. I am so grateful for my grandfather for taking such great care of her while my family and I are so far away in South Carolina.

I've named my relatives who are living or have died with dementia or ALZ and they're of an older age. Many people believe that this disease comes with an old age, but in reality, it does not. Alzheimer's is not a form of old aging.

I am so thankful for the sorority Sigma Kappa for having Alzheimer's Association as one of their philanthropies and the amount of support that goes towards Alzheimer's and towards a cure.

Knowing so many people that have been affected by Alzheimer's or dementia and knowing people with the same experience has lead to a future where I want to cure this disease because memories matter and nobody should have to go through this.