Don't Say You're Fine When You Really Aren't

We all deserve Oscars for the performances we put on every day.

228

We all do it, don’t we? That thing where we just put a mask on, plop on the glitter and sparkle, and say we’re “fine,” when we’re not.

We say, “No, it doesn’t matter,” when it does.

We say, “I’ll get over it,” when the moment is just so painful in its presence.

We say, “It’s not important,” when honestly, it does is just stain and plague the mind until you physically and mentally feel spent.

And it takes a toll. You walk around feeling heavy. And there’s no good reason to pinpoint exactly why.

…But why don’t we live the truth? Why is that the hard route to take?

It’s time we do what our heart wants. It’s time we say what we want to say in the moment, no holding back. It’s time we live the truth we feel inside, whatever that truth might be. We can’t be afraid to listen to ourselves.

Yes, we can make excuses — saying that it’s easier to just push whatever feelings we have down, but that doesn’t fix the problem. That just delays it.

In this way, the only person standing in the way of your truth is you.

You have the power to shake those sparkles off, take that darn mask, and crush it all.

If you’re not happy with your job, apply and go after new ones.

Once, I applied to work for a blind woman in my community, providing her a pair of eyes. But all she had me do was clean out her basement and attic, with only five dollars an hour. I felt so guilty wanting to quit — wasn’t I being a good Samaritan and patron of goodness by helping someone who needs it?

Truth was, though, I was unhappy and I didn’t actually feel like what I was doing was worthy of my time. Quitting allowed me to search for a new job, and I found one helping to tutor a girl in English. By the end of the year, the little girl went from performing at an average level to above average. My time was in no way wasted here — my truth had led me to bring about a good change in someone else’s life.

Similarly, if you’re not happy with your friends, then let them know and join clubs and put yourself out there so you can meet new people. Don’t settle for anything — ever. It was so hard for me to let go of some friends I made the first semester because they were all good people. But by the second semester, I had outgrown them. I had changed just enough to realize I did not click the same way with their jokes and their values. It was hard, but branching out allowed me to meet some of the girls from new clubs I know I’ll be inviting to my wedding one day.

And grades? If you’re not happy with your grades, then go to office hours, watch helpful videos online, ask someone who’s doing well in the class to help you, or drop the course, if you must. Quitting doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Sometimes, it’s the smartest thing.

I held myself to the standard of never quitting up until this year. I signed up for so many organizations and clubs and told myself I’d be able to handle them all. News flash to me — I’m human. I couldn’t do it. Quitting an organization I thought would be my most favorite — CommRadio — I felt like a failure. But by the end of the month, I had slept more, I had eaten more times than once in a day and I just felt like I could breathe.

Quitting, in this way, doesn’t have to mean failing.

As for love, if you’re not happy with the person you’re with, then don’t tell yourself that you have to settle. There is no reason to settle or to lower your standards when they are yours and yours to uphold for yourself. I once held onto a guy for so long, never realizing that he never was someone I should hold onto. I was putting all the work into that relationship and that’s not okay. I failed to see the truth for myself, believing in what I wanted reality to be. But frankly, I always felt hurt and always felt unwanted. Truth was, I had to let him go.

So, if you’re not happy with yourself for whatever reason, then ask and probe your mind and heart as to why— take that moment with yourself and seek out your truth.

Because too many people walk around hiding their inner truths and inner needs. We shove them down like that overflowing garbage can we can’t find the strength to actually just take out, empty and start anew (and, yes, this was the best metaphor I could find).

What is making you unhappy right now? How can you change it?

The answer might not be there right away. In fact, it can be so engraved in the shadows that the sun will go down and the shadows just turn into darkness.

But it’s there and the best part is, if you want it, you will definitely find it. Because the power is all in your hands.

So, don’t smile when you’re not okay.

Don’t say you’re fine when you feel the world is falling apart.

True friends, true people and the right circumstances for you will be fine with seeing you at your most vulnerable.

Remember: being at your weakest doesn’t mean you’re not at your strongest.

In fact, it might mean the very same.

So, don’t be afraid of your feelings or of yourself.

Don’t be afraid of the truth.