Alshon Jeffrey And The Eagles Deserve A Break

It's admirable that he himself shoulders all the blame in a defeat that the Eagles were predicted to lose heavily in the first place. That's what taking responsibility means, even when it wasn't all your fault.

159
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alshon_Jeffery#/media/File:Alshon_jeffrey_eagles2017.jpg

It seemed like a familiar narrative on the night of January 13, 2019. Down 20-14, Nick Foles drives down the field for the game-winning touchdown, and the Eagles persevere through a hard-fought game. But at approximately 2 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Nick Foles made a pass to Alshon Jeffrey for a sure-fire catch to move the chains, yet the ball slipped through Alshon's hands and into the hands of cornerback Marshon Lattimore of the Saints. It was an interception that effectively ended the game for the Eagles and ensured a Saints victory.

Understandably, Alshon was devastated from missing the catch that he would have made 99 times out of 100. He took the whole responsibility for the loss, telling the media, "that's on me. I'll take that loss. It's on me. I let my teammates down, the city of Philadelphia, that's on me. I'll take that." A class act and an excellent teammate, Alshon Jeffrey took sole onus for the defeat against the Saints.

But although he only made one costly mistake, Alshon Jeffrey's efforts were the reason the Eagles were in the game in the first place. He was the team's leading receiver, with 63 yards on 5 receptions, and did so playing with broken ribs. On Twitter, some vilified Jeffrey, while others were more understanding of his and his team's plight. Doug Pederson and Nick Foles immediately consoled him, and teammates Zach Ertz and Lane Johnson defended him and sang his praises in their individual interviews.

"It's hard," Pederson said. "It's hard because he is so down. For me, it's about staying positive."

Alshon Jeffrey deserves a break, because it is true that the Eagles wouldn't have been in their situation in the first place without his contributions. They wouldn't have made the playoffs miraculously, and they would not have upset the Chicago Bears. It's admirable that he himself shoulders all the blame in a defeat that the Eagles were predicted to lose heavily in the first place. That's what taking responsibility means, even when it wasn't all your fault. That's who Alshon Jeffrey is, and it speaks volume to the culture in that locker room, and the character of the man that, in his time in Philadelphia, has embodied what it means to be an Eagle.

Alshon Jeffrey's play and composure are inspiring to me, too, in my personal struggles, emotions, and walk through life. God is at work in my life, much like it is in Jeffrey's. The game's outcome was unfortunate and unlucky, much like how last week's victory against the Bears came out fortunate and lucky. Yet Jeffrey took responsibility for an outcome that was no one's fault, and that is truly inspiring. I saw him as a cog in the Eagles' receiving corps prior to the game, yet now I see his actions as inspiring. Alshon Jeffrey will only grow stronger from this outcome, much like the Eagles will also become a better unit through their adversity, much like I know I will become better, kinder, and stronger through my own adversity.

I have been struggling, and I have been suffering, especially recently. Watching Nick Foles, Alshon Jeffrey, and the Eagles team the last several weeks has given me life, and it is my duty and our duty as Eagles fans to pay it back to this team when they need it, too.