Allegory of the Cave: A Poem

Allegory of the Cave: A Poem

A poem about depression through the lens of Plato's allegory of the cave.
1103

the allegory of the cave:
our world, only shadows
cast against a wall,
the light from without
blinding us when we finally
venture forth,
and the dragging footsteps
of our inevitable return.

the cave: how heavy the world,
how thick the bars on this cage.
cracks in the earth woven
by saltwater and time.
the expectations swarming at
our heels, chaining us down.

the shadows: the empty & exhausted
sort of sadness of knowing where the ache
comes from and not being able
to tear it forth from your chest.
falling into darkness
looks like peace
from this far away. how the sun
seems to die in these fading
winter months.

the light: how much it hurts
to finally live. and the iron taste of fear
because when you climb,
you always risk the fall.
you’ve outrun all the demons you can
and still taste hellfire in the air.
but this world, illuminated
at last, spread before you
like the sun sinking against
the wide horizon, waves of luminance
like a lover’s touch, like
the triumph of how it feels
to finally love yourself.

the return: there are always
those who sit in shadow. come back,
dance with death in the dark,
flirt fingertips against rough stone.
come back with spine of iron
and blood that whispers sunshine,
reach hands out to give back the light
to everyone lost.

Cover Image Credit: Unsplash

I'm A Woman And You Can't Convince Me Breastfeeding In Public Is OK In 2019

Sorry, not sorry.

7562

Lately, I have seen so many people going off on social media about how people shouldn't be upset with mothers breastfeeding in public. You know what? I disagree.

There's a huge difference between being modest while breastfeeding and just being straight up careless, trashy and disrespectful to those around you. Why don't you try popping out a boob without a baby attached to it and see how long it takes for you to get arrested for public indecency? Strange how that works, right?

So many people talking about it bring up the point of how we shouldn't "sexualize" breastfeeding and seeing a woman's breasts while doing so. Actually, all of these people are missing the point. It's not sexual, it's just purely immodest and disrespectful.

If you see a girl in a shirt cut too low, you call her a slut. If you see a celebrity post a nude photo, you call them immodest and a terrible role model. What makes you think that pulling out a breast in the middle of public is different, regardless of what you're doing with it?

If I'm eating in a restaurant, I would be disgusted if the person at the table next to me had their bare feet out while they were eating. It's just not appropriate. Neither is pulling out your breast for the entire general public to see.

Nobody asked you to put a blanket over your kid's head to feed them. Nobody asked you to go feed them in a dirty bathroom. But you don't need to basically be topless to feed your kid. Growing up, I watched my mom feed my younger siblings in public. She never shied away from it, but the way she did it was always tasteful and never drew attention. She would cover herself up while doing it. She would make sure that nothing inappropriate could be seen. She was lowkey about it.

Mindblowing, right? Wait, you can actually breastfeed in public and not have to show everyone what you're doing? What a revolutionary idea!

There is nothing wrong with feeding your baby. It's something you need to do, it's a part of life. But there is definitely something wrong with thinking it's fine to expose yourself to the entire world while doing it. Nobody wants to see it. Nobody cares if you're feeding your kid. Nobody cares if you're trying to make some sort of weird "feminist" statement by showing them your boobs.

Cover up. Be modest. Be mindful. Be respectful. Don't want to see my boobs? Good, I don't want to see yours either. Hard to believe, I know.