Allegory of the Cave: A Poem

Allegory of the Cave: A Poem

A poem about depression through the lens of Plato's allegory of the cave.

the allegory of the cave:
our world, only shadows
cast against a wall,
the light from without
blinding us when we finally
venture forth,
and the dragging footsteps
of our inevitable return.

the cave: how heavy the world,
how thick the bars on this cage.
cracks in the earth woven
by saltwater and time.
the expectations swarming at
our heels, chaining us down.

the shadows: the empty & exhausted
sort of sadness of knowing where the ache
comes from and not being able
to tear it forth from your chest.
falling into darkness
looks like peace
from this far away. how the sun
seems to die in these fading
winter months.

the light: how much it hurts
to finally live. and the iron taste of fear
because when you climb,
you always risk the fall.
you’ve outrun all the demons you can
and still taste hellfire in the air.
but this world, illuminated
at last, spread before you
like the sun sinking against
the wide horizon, waves of luminance
like a lover’s touch, like
the triumph of how it feels
to finally love yourself.

the return: there are always
those who sit in shadow. come back,
dance with death in the dark,
flirt fingertips against rough stone.
come back with spine of iron
and blood that whispers sunshine,
reach hands out to give back the light
to everyone lost.

Cover Image Credit: Unsplash

The New Era of the Period

You Know You Want to Know

We've all heard of them. Whether you're totally disgusted, intimidated or fascinated, you can't deny, you've definitely been curious about them. Well, here's what it's all about in seven brutally honest steps.

1. Reading the instructions.

This looks so easy. I totally have this. I just need to fold it like this. All right. Here we go.

2. Putting it in.

How the actual fuck am I supposed to get this in my body. I literally cannot. Maybe if I fold it like this...? NOPE. NOPE. NOPE. ABORT. I've been in this restroom for a solid ten minutes. I just need to shove it up there at this point. Okay. Here we go.

3. It's in.

Wow. This is great. I feel nothing. Watch me do this split just because I can. Holy fucking yes. I need to tell everyone about this. Everyone needs to know. My body is a temple. I am freaking Wonder Woman. NOTHING CAN STOP ME!!!!

4. Taking it out.

Okay so I just pull this spout and "gently pull." This is grea---where. the. fuckity. is. the. spout. I can't find it. Oh, there it is.

5. It's not coming out.

I CANNOT get this out.

6. Mental breakdown.

I'm going to have to birth this out. I can't get it. This is bad. This is really really bad. It's up there forever. I'm going to have to go to the ER to get someone to pull this thing out of me. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. I have to call my mom. She always knows what to do. No answer. I need to go to the ER. I can't get this out. I'm crying right now.

7. Celebration.

Wow. It's out. I'm so glad that I didn't actually go to the ER to have someone pull this out. I feel so free. I am never going back to tampons again. This is incredible. I'm saving the planet. I'm saving so much money. Just gonna pop this back in now. I am a new woman. HERE I COME WORLD.