All-Time Best Rock Songs

25 Of My All-Time Favorite Songs That Are Sure To Become A Part Of Your Playlist

Need some new songs to listen to? Need to make fun of someone's horrible taste in music? Don't worry, it's all here.

6

In the middle of listening to a song, I sometimes just stop and think, "Dang. That's really good." So after finding a few songs that made me go like that, I thought I'd compile them in a list and share them on the Odyssey. From classic rock to that weird, alternative stuff, here are sixteen that we can appreciate and think, "Dang. That's really good," together.

November Rain- Guns N' Roses

I don't really know what to call this song other than inspirational. Next time you're going through something, just remember: "Nothing lasts forever/ Even the November rain." I know I'll be using it to get through the coming school year!

505- Arctic Monkeys

I could spend hours talking about the Arctic Monkeys so I'm just going to keep it short. This song is so cool. I think it's the first song they made where they really split off from imitating the style of The Strokes. And towards the end, it's almost explosive with an emotion I can't really describe. Long story short, it's awesome.

Hotel California- Eagles

I still don't understand what the lyrics could mean other than possible drug addiction? Either way, you don't need to overanalyze the song to know that those guitar solos are absolute perfection.

In a Week- Hozier

Ahh, the sweet, calming ambience of death and festering bodies. But in an odd way, this song makes it strangely peaceful to come to terms with.

Holocene- Bon Iver

In his cool, poetic way, Bon Iver manages to evoke emotions we've all had just by writing a line with several words in it. It's another song that makes it easy to come to terms with our insignificance in this world.

Timeless- James Blake

Probably one of the few rap songs I will admit to liking, "Timeless" is just really catchy and something I had never heard before. Vince Staples and James Blake are both great musicians and they really produced something different and unheard of with this song.

Videotape- Radiohead

This melancholic song is beautiful in the way it kind of sounds like a funeral march. I have an even bigger appreciation for it after watching Vox's video on it.

Cigarette Daydreams- Cage The Elephant

A nice, sweet love song that sings about a search for identity at the same time.

Broken- Gorillaz

Desencuentro- Residente

I don't often listen to songs I don't understand, but with my extremely rudimentary understanding of Spanish, I was able to somewhat piece together what it means. It's a kind of sad song about missed love, and together with the verses in French, it makes for a beautiful song.

Fly Me To The Moon- Frank Sinatra

Who would exclude Frank Sinatra from their list of all-time favorite songs? Especially this one in an age where a sweet, old, simple love song often eludes us.

Man of War- Radiohead

I'm so happy Radiohead decided to release this song years after their album "OK Computer." It's absolutely brilliant and reminds me of their older songs when they still had guitars and less synthesizers. Plus, the music video is just as good as their song.

Fire Escape- Foster The People

This one is completely different from the upbeat and fast songs that Foster The People usually writes. It's a calming song from the perspective of a fire escape discussing the beautiful and the ugly that the search for stardom brings. Pretty cool, right?

Vincent- Don McLean

I think Don McLean definitely seems to understand what Vincent Van Gough went through. His song about him is almost as beautiful as Van Gough's paintings.

Sleep- My Chemical Romance

Yes, it's time to awaken the inner emo that's lain dormant for all these years. Seriously though, apart from all the cringiness that's associated with them, MCR is an amazing band, and this song is definitely one of their best.

What a Difference a Day Makes- Angelina Jordan

Okay, I know this was written by Dina Washington, but I really like Angelina Jordan's cover of it. Can you believe she's only twelve years old right now? She literally sounds like a mature adult.

The Hellcat Spangled Shalalala

This song is just plain old catchy and makes me smile every time I hear it. It's great for dancing and singing along to in the shower.

Arsonist's Lullaby- Hozier

Everything Now- Arcade Fire

A danceable song about the modern world, the phrase "Everything Now" perfectly describes the overload of things that we face today.

The Dream Synopsis- The Last Shadow Puppets

A slow song about Alex Turner's past, it leaves a lasting impression when he sings, "Isn't it boring when I talk about my dreams?"