To All Freshmen

To All Freshmen

The secret to surviving college.

12
To All Freshmen
k-type.com

College is finally starting back up. So exciting, right? Did anyone else miss the smells of impending stress, or the beautiful views of papers and homework stacked up for months? Actually, for me, this has already been a thing for about two weeks now. However, I know several colleges are just now starting back, so I can celebrate with you.

Anyways, being back on campus for my senior year has already taught me quite a bit. I have caught myself being a little more observant this year. I pay more attention to the people around me, the events offered, and, as always, the professors. With all of this observing, I have found the need to write an article specifically to Freshmen. I am realizing that many of you are coming into this place with absolutely no idea how to deal with all that is going on, so I want to offer my assistance as best I can.

1. Relax. It is all going to be all right.

Within your first couple days of class, you will quickly realize that college is nothing like the movies. It’s actually work and sometimes overwhelming. But don’t worry! Half of the battle of college is a mind game. So when you see the insane amount of work that a professor requires, just continue to tell yourself that you will be just fine. I can tell you that the first two weeks are always going to be the worst. Allow yourself some time to settle into a routine, and it will get better from there.

2. Do all homework, and turn it in on time!

No matter how dumb, or long, or hard the homework is, always do it. There are a couple reasons. Number one is that your professors will appreciate you. They see that you are willing to work, that you actually care, and they are more likely to help you out. The second reason is to learn. In college, you are not taking classes just to pass a test. The information you get is actually worth something and it is going to benefit you in your careers! You will regret all the information that you didn’t remember.

3. Stay humble.

Never be too big to learn. Yes, you have made it a long ways and you have done great so far. But also realize that there are people all around you that have been at it a little longer and have a little more experience. If you allow yourself to stay humble, you just might learn something extremely valuable from upperclassmen. Don't be afraid to ask about classes, or professors. Upperclassmen and others on campus may provide some information that can save you a lot of extra work.

4 Find your group.

The biggest mistake any college student could make is to try doing all of this alone. Everyone needs support. So get involved in organizations, and make friends in all of your classes. You will learn throughout your college careers that your network is the most valuable asset that you have.

5 Plan time to have fun.

Even though college is stressful and requires a lot of work, it also provides plenty of opportunity to have fun. Go with your group to go bowling, watch movies, or go on a weekend road trip. Do something that gets you out of your room and your mind off of homework for a while. Allow yourself to refresh!

6 You have responsibilities now.

Mom and Dad aren’t going to hold your hand anymore. It is time to put on your big kid pants. Take the opportunity to learn to talk with people, figure out how to pay bills on your own, and do your own laundry. Now is your chance to show the world that you can play this game too. Play wisely!

7 Pay attention!

One mistake that I made was to let all of this go by. I didn’t take enough time to cherish my college career. So pay attention to what happens in class, and take every opportunity to get involved. College goes a whole lot faster than you think. As they say, don’t blink!

8 Try something new.

The purpose of college is not to find another comfort zone. Push beyond that every now and then, and be brave. Go try some new foods, or maybe a new sport. You might even find a new hobby or new favorite hangout place. But you will never know until you try!

9 Pray a lot!

This is the absolute best thing that you could ever do. Jesus is the only reason I have made it this far, and the reason I have had so much success. He has carried me through my deepest valleys. College students are always abandoning their faith, but I strongly encourage you to hang tight. Just because your professors or fellow students think it’s weird doesn’t make you wrong. And if any of you have never known about Jesus Christ, hit me up and I will gladly tell you all about Him.

10 Call your mom at least once a month.

Last, but certainly not least, your mom is important. She spent so much time, money, and effort raising you. She has given you all that she has just to see you succeed. Just because you have gone off to college and you are finally out of the house, doesn’t mean you can forget all about family. Your parents still love you like crazy and want to hear all about you. College provides the chance to connect with them on a new level. You now get to be an adult, and relate to your parents. Let them know how thankful you are for all of their love and support.

So there you go. You are now prepared to take on your own college career. You get to go have your own experiences, and make your own mistakes. Enjoy it.