If You Want to Be Happy In Life, Don’t Be Afraid To Embrace Your Individuality

Life would be so much better if we stopped trying to conform to other’s standards.

48

What is normal? This isn’t a rhetorical question. I’m seriously asking and want you to think of your answer. What is normal?

I have never understood this arbitrary concept of “normal.” After all, “normal,” while an actual word in the dictionary with an actual definition, is defined differently by everyone based on their perspective and experiences. So, there really is no set in stone definition of normal.

My idea of normal is different from your definition of normal, which is different from literally everyone else on Earth’s definition of what is normal.

If that is the case then, why do we as people try to conform to this idea of “normal” when really we are trying to conform to another person’s belief of what is normal and what is not? Why do we give the people around us this power to decide how we should and should not act, what we should and should not like, and how we should and should not look?

Now, when I say this, I’m talking about our daily interactions with other people, and more specifically about how we tend to change our personality and hide our interests based on other’s expectations. I’m not trying to ask why we don’t just do whatever we want to or behave however we want to because there are certain standards that everyone does have to conform to in order to have a functioning society, like showing respect to other people and following laws. So don’t misunderstand me.

Individuality is something that should be cherished. We shouldn’t feel the need to hide our uniqueness from others just to fit in. We should pursue our passions and live our lives the way that we and we alone want to.

The key to happiness, I’ve found, is being your true self. So what if you like something that others in your friend group don’t? Who cares if you’re not exactly like everyone else?

Embrace your interests and passions! Be yourself! Don’t hide behind a fake persona in order to impress others! If the people you’re hanging around with are truly your friends, then they’ll embrace all of who you are.

Not only that, but you’ll quickly find that people like when you’re real with them. I’ve known many people who always put on fake personas, and I always found them intolerable to be around while they were pretending to be someone they weren’t. I enjoyed being around them so much more when they were being themselves.

We need to stop trying to conform to “normal” because normal doesn’t truly exist; it’s an abstract idea. As long as you’re not hurting anyone, then the only person you should be worried about fitting in with is yourself.

That’s not to say you should let your filter of what behavior is and isn’t appropriate just vanish, refuse to change your negative personality traits, or start being a jerk to everyone. You should embrace your individuality; you should embrace what makes you... you.

And stop caring if people like who your true self or not. Because if you find that someone doesn’t like you for who you really are, then they’re not worth having in your life anyway.

Once you do this, I believe that you will find life more enjoyable. Those who really love you will stay around and the stress of trying to conform to other’s standards will mostly disappear.

Be yourself and life will be so much better.