College Seniors, Make Your Last Year Count

The end is near...but is it really?

64
Priscilla Westra

Senior year is finally here. Some of you might be ecstatic that all of the arduous moments you have experienced preparing for exams, dealing with roommates, or dealing with the hunger games that is scheduling classes will not have been for naught. The rest of you might be feeling a bit anxious, nervous, or distraught because, as it is said, the "real world" will begin, if it has not already. Fear not because you are not the first nor the last to come to face this milestone: meaning, you will survive.

Hopefully, you will thrive as well. Although I, too, am in the same boat, I can only share with you the wisdom that others have given me, as well as the ways that I intend to take on the new and final school year.

Be Present:

Knowing it is the final year might trigger a tremendous amount of bliss and relief since the dedication towards rigorous essays and never-ending exams will soon be rewarded. However, the dedication towards your college work does not end as soon as the diploma is in your hand. Emotions direct your behavior, so do not stop yourself from pursuing passionate work. If you feel content and fortunate enough to have studied the work required of you for your major, but did not pursue campus organizations or work on or off-campus, begin today. It is never too late to start volunteering or become active in your community. Whether you did or did not get involved in campus affairs, you have the power to make the most of your current situation. Therefore, stay present, keep your past in mind, and work towards your future by using your hard-earned skills, and contribute to the world we live in today.

Change It Up:

Many friendships were most likely made, along with traditions between you and your friends during your time at college. Save photos and ensure that you are still making time to be with them during the last few months together. Things may become hectic later down the road as you try to pass classes and ensure that your course credits are being counted. However, do not keep yourself from meeting new people and making brand new friendships, despite it being the last year. In addition, network as much as you can this last year. Every person you have encountered in the past and might encounter in the present or near-future could surprise you one day. You never know when you or they might be able to offer a helping hand in any future career endeavors. This may only happen if you aim to put yourself out there. Thus, step out of the environment you have become familiar with and embrace change. After all, what is senior year but a foreshadowing of life changes?

Remind Yourself Of The Past:

Lastly, remind yourself of every emotion, experience, and adversity you have gone through while at college because your imminent graduation is a testament to your strength of character. Many difficult and stressful situations could have arisen during the last few years, and perhaps regrets in some circumstances. However, there is no need to remain focused on what was once a reality. Instead, focus your energy on looking back at those situations and seeing them for what they were: lessons. Every obstacle you face teaches you something new, and by allowing yourself to learn from these obstacles, you are already halfway to creating a better future for yourself. The mindset you have today can carry over to the next, so start and end each day with a nod to the past and your feet towards the future.

Graduating college continues to be an immense achievement for many of us, and although the time of adventures may seem like they are ending as the last year approaches, consider that they only end if you let them. Every day is filled with new opportunities to make new memories, meet new people, work diligently, and be cognizant of our emotions and actions. Let your last year at college be filled with thrills and enjoyment, and, when the time comes after graduation, welcome whatever challenges come your way with excitement and courage.