An Open Letter To Freshmen From A Senior

To You Who Are About to Enter Into a Lifetime of Memories

29

Dear Friend and Newcomer to the World of College,

I remember being like you. I was so excited for my first year away from home. I was going to have so much fun and be a part of a bunch of different clubs and make my mark on my campus.

Thoughts of being popular and involved in everything filled my head the nights before my departure from home.

Once I got to my dormitory and got my room set up and everything, I started to rethink how I was going to make new friends. I didn't know anyone, and that scared me to the bone. It's day three of your freshman year and it's day three of my senior year. So here are three pieces of advice from a senior Troy Trojan to a freshman Troy Trojan.

1. Be Confident, Not Cocky

One important thing for a senior, junior, or even a sophomore, is knowing where you stand. Or, more accurately, where you are supposed to stand. Freshmen, you are new faces and you don't really know your way around the campus just yet; it makes it worse when you are cocky and act like college is just like your old high school. Face the music, this is college. If you were popular in high school, chances are college is going to put you in your place. Don't walk into a group thinking you know everything; it's okay to ask where Saga is or in what room English with Thompson is. This is something I have witnessed many freshmen doing and it will start to annoy you too when you get older. As an ex-Resident Assistant, I have met my fair share of freshmen who thought college was just a party and going to be all fun and games because "they knew what they were getting into." The truth is, everyone is in the same boat you are; the hope that you as a freshman is that you can make a friend out of someone that you have things in common with. That's how I met my best friend. There is a huge difference between being confident and acting like a know-it-all and acting like you don't need help. We who have been here know what it is like and want to help you if we can. We aren't here to make you feel inferior—we are here to pass the torch and carry on the tradition of making leaders and Trojans.

2. Get to Know Your Professors and Classmates

Depending on your major, you might end up seeing a professor or a couple of classmates more than once in classes that you would never expect. This means that you are now known throughout your department. This is where your reputation comes in. Professors are some of the best or worst people out there, depending on what class you have had with them. Professors want to make sure you are succeeding on your intended field of study and want to make sure that the information they are teaching is ingrained in your brain. It's okay to ask them questions. In fact, most professors encourage it. They aren't scary and, if they seem so, they might just be having a rough day dealing with a student who doesn't know that they have to take a certain class to graduate. Oh! That reminds me, your professors are also advisors, so they do have other things to do besides teach your class. If you need help with something, go to office hours and be engaged with your professors. That's their job and they just want the best for you.

As for your classmates, those are the people that you can turn to for fun and help in the classes you have together. It's also a hidden networking technique because you have connections with people who are of a different, or similar, major and come all walks of life, who can help you succeed in your life after college. Be nice, smile, and help each other out when needed. Who knows—you might find your best friend along the way.

3. Explore Troy

Yes, Troy may be small and we may not have as many exciting things to do as other campuses across the country, but that's because you haven't searched for Troy's hidden treasures yet. There are nice shops downtown in the square to visit if you're looking for small gifts. There is Hell's Gates and the old Delta Chi fraternity house right outside of the square, if you are looking for a little thriller energy. And, as you always can hear, there is the train that passes through downtown. I suggest standing on the bridge next to the police station while it passes under you and just enjoying the freedom.

And finally, my freshman friend,

Don't wait for your senior year to have fun and make memories. That is something that starts from day one. Remember that you are only here at this beautiful, amazing college for a short time, so make the most of it.

I hope this letter has been helpful in your journey into adulthood.

Sincerely,

A friend and senior who wants you to succeed in everything