Advice from a Shopaholic

Advice from a Shopaholic

If you suddenly want it, you don't need it. Maybe.
147

Do you enjoy shopping? Are you a shopaholic? If you say no to any of those two, well - I envy you and your self control. However, it is a self-evident truth that everyone eventually must hit the mall and its plethora of stores to update or refurnish their wardrobe. As a self-proclaimed and publicly-labeled shopaholic, I have tips for those who wish to shop, without having to drop - all their money.

Start from the back, then work yourself up to the front of the store. If this is an unplanned shopping trip, or vice versa, it is always best to start from the back - because that is where the clearance is. By walking straight and keeping both eyes forward, one can avoid the temptation that is the expensive and more current clothing. Yes, the clearance may have only last season's outfits for sale, but by going there first - one can avoid the regret that will settle in once those seventy dollar t-shirts get marked down to fifteen bucks.

Besides that, if you are going shopping, and something cries out like a downtrodden puppy to you, grab a friend and get him or her to walk you away from that item. Chances are, if you suddenly need it, you really don't. So keep walking and go straight toward what you actually need. Like a pair of jeans that don't have holes in them. Or some black trousers - your only young once right. so you're going to need those professional clothes sooner than later unfortunately.

Another helpful tip is, take a picture of your closet to keep in your camera roll. By doing this, you can avoid buying similar clothes and invest more in styles that aren't in your closet yet. Also, say no and don't go. Everyone loves the mall, whether it is for shopping or just going out - even if they don't, everyone has friends who enjoy mall trips. So best way to avoid losing that extra cash or swipe? Say no. It's easy and simple as that, say no to your friends, and say no to yourself. Sometimes the devil whispering in your ear is you. So say no and suggest an alternative that is cheaper and far from the mall.

Although, if you do have to go out and shop - much to your dismay or joy, make a list. Sometimes, having a physical list whether in your phone or on paper, helps keep you goal-orientated and aware of what your money should really be spent on. And speaking of money, leave the cards at home. Not the gift cards, those are great - spend them anytime you wish, but as for credit/debit cards? Leave them behind. They are endless money for shopaholics, and by just taking out just enough cash for your trip - you can be very sure that you will remain on your toes about what you buy and how much you spend. After all, you also have to remember that shopping trips include food and gas too, right?

So from one shopaholic to another, (or not), shop safely and smartly!