Advice For Those Planning On Rushing A Sorority

I don't want to sound cliché, but trust the process. It truly does have a way of working itself out.

58

Are you thinking of rushing? Do you want to be in a sorority? For you incoming freshman girls, I'm sure this isn't the first time you've been exposed to those types of questions. I'm going to come out and say it without any sugar-coating: rushing is overwhelming. It's hard, it's long, it's stressful and it's nerve-wracking. However, there are ways to go about rush that minimize these aspects despite their inevitability. From this sorority girl to you, PNM (potential new member), I'm here to try and help you navigate this process as well as give you some insight into a few tips and tricks.

Go in with an open mind.

I cannot stress this enough. There are endless reasons for whatever plays out in the rushing process. Numbers, legacy, who knows what. Just like for anybody, there is a chance you may not end up where you wanted to be for reasons not having to do with you. If you go in with tunnel vision, this type of situation is guaranteed to bum you out and you're not going to be able to make coherent judgements on the other sororities that are showing interest in you. Additionally, you might think you know a lot about a sorority and you might think that you want it. It is extremely common to go through rush, though, and find a sorority that resonates with you more than what you previously had in mind. The truth is, you can't know what any sorority is like until you become a member. That is why an open mind is crucial, because the best way to get to know each house is to pay a lot of attention to what the members of each chapter have to say while rushing.

Don't let what you're going to wear keep you up at night.

This one's a classic. I remember talking with my high school friends and just-gotten-to-know-college-friends early on in the summer about what to wear for preference round (mainly) and every other round. Heels? Sandals? Romper or dress? Jean jacket, too? Or is that too casual? I'm not going to say it doesn't matter what you wear because it's important to look nice and to look your best, but fretting over every single detail over your outfit is completely unnecessary. I remember having a 20 minute conversation with the girls on my floor the night before rush started about whether or not we should do our nails. The tiny little details don't matter. Rush is so overwhelming, chaotic, and quick, that no one is really noticing or paying all that much attention to this aspect. Just wear what you feel good and confident in. At the end of the day, recruitment should, and primarily is, about who you are and that will be what the right chapter will remember most about you.

P.S.- I did my nails and they looked awful, so I took it right off. I survived rush, though!

If you need advice or want to talk things through with people who understand the process, go to your rho gamma first.

Another new vocab word: rho gamma. In other words, your rush counselor. These girls are older and all in sororities. They will lead you to and from each house and be there for support when you need it. Going to girls in your rush group is also an option, but if you're looking for people who are solely there to support you and be impartial, go to your rho gamma. That being said, I definitely advise not trash-talking sororities to rho gammas. Rho gammas are in sororities but you don't know which ones. It's fine to give your own opinion of what you see each day in the house, but don't go too hard on labeling certain ones or discussing stereotypes or anything like that... can't be a good outcome.

Be yourself.

It's easy to walk into each house and think you have to conform to what you think they want you to be. Don't do this! Your authentic self is going to come off the best and most naturally. You'll also feel more calm and come off as more relaxed if you're not worrying about saying what others want to hear and are truly speaking from who you are.

Have fun! Smile!

Lastly, have fun! You only get to go through this extremely unique and fast-paced process once, so take it in while you can.

I don't want to sound cliché, but trust the process. It truly does have a way of working itself out. For the most part, girls end up where they belong and are happy. If it doesn't work out for you, you could always try a second time the next semester or year.

Happy recruitment!