14 Pieces Of Advice I Have Learned

14 Pieces Of Advice I Have Learned Throughout My Life

I live my life by this advice.

167

I have been incredibly lucky to have people in my life who give me endless amounts of advice in any situation. Whether the advice is coming from my parents, friends, church leaders, or teachers, it has all helped me throughout my life. This list contains just a few pieces of advice I have been given throughout the years.

1. "Who cares! Just sing it!" Age 16

I'm a terrible singer. I used to hate signing out loud, but after one of my mentors told me "Who cares! Just sing it!" I have loved breaking out into songs at any moment throughout the day.

2. "Being short does not mean you can't do something. Get a ladder." Age 15

My whole life I have been one of the smallest. With being short comes struggling to reach the top shelf, being able to see, and people believing your real age. One day, I was complaining about my height and a pal told me this simple line.

3. "Don't let your past claim you." Age 13

Prior to junior high, I struggled a lot with personal things. As time went on, I made that who I was instead of letting it be a part of my story. It became my name more than anything else. I was sat down and this was spoken to me.

4. "Don't let people tell you who you are, especially strangers." Age 13

This one goes way back. I don't want to sound stereotypical or anything, but I'm pretty weird. Alright, maybe not weird but I'm not afraid to be who I am. I have had people comment on this, some mean, some nice. Those people don't get to decide who I am, though.

5. "You get to decide what you're afraid of." Age 18

This one hit me hard. Change is terrifying to me, so this was perfect to hear at 18.

6. "Let people help you." Age 17

Gosh. This is hard for me. I am pretty independent. I like to accomplish things by myself a lot of the time. What I have learned over time, though, it is hard to do everything by yourself. Even writing an Odyssey article cannot be done alone! There are things that I either miss or mess up completely! We all need help!

7. "How do you want to be remembered?" Age 18

Yes, this is a question, but it is a piece of advice. It is a reminder for me. Am I who I want to be?

8. "Be careful with your heart." Age 17

A quote I hear (and say) a lot is "Boys are dumb." We or I don't say this because I want to be mean. It is more-so said because boys (and girls) will break your heart even if you were never in a relationship. I'm going to stick with my dog. He'll never break my heart.

9. "Just dance." Age 19

I'm a horrible dancer. Seriously and truly a terrible dancer. I am the epitome of a stereotypical white person dancing. It's horrible, but I still love it, and it brings me so much joy. So, I'm going to dance.

10. "What do you think of when you think about him?" Age 19

This is another question, but the advice within the answer of this question is so good. Is my answer joyful or is it harmful?

11. "It's your future. Do what you want to do." Age 16

I have this wild dream of working for a hockey team as my career. Some people think it's crazy and will never work out. Others are behind me 100% with it. Even when someone says, "you know there's a lot of work with that." I remind myself of what one of my pals told me a while ago.

`12. "Don't do anything you're going to regret." Age 20

Classic. Thanks, Dad.

13. "Can't is a state of mind." Age 15

I learned this one when I was in high school. It has stuck with me all these years. It is something I will tell myself forever. I have to give a shoutout to teachers and future teachers. Believe in your students.

14. "Don't date a boy who likes Notre Dame." Age 4

My dad told me this when I was four. He sat me on the stool in our kitchen and preached it out. I was simply a confused four-year-old who did not care one bit about football, and I thought boys were gross.

This advice has helped me out a lot in life. It has helped me to succeed. It has helped me become who I am supposed to be. It has also helped me to realize it is okay to ask for help.