5 Pieces Of Advice I Wish I Knew Before Freshman Year

Dear High School Seniors, Here's What I Wish I Knew The Summer Before College

I wish I knew to cherish the summer before freshman year of college, rather than letting it rush by.

20632

Dear High School Seniors,

This is the last month of high school. Graduation is fast approaching. Prom is right around the corner. College is this daunting, yet exciting, adventure that is going to be here before you know it. You may be scared. You may be so excited. No one can really ever prepare you for exactly what will happen. But, being a (now) college sophomore, here's a few things that I wish I knew before move-in day.

1. Be nice to your parents on move-in day.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaCUfIzltl_/

Personally, move-in day was so chaotic. Everyone is trying to talk to you and help you, but you just feel overwhelmed. So, when it's time to move in and put things away, your family really just wants to help. So, instead of yelling at them or getting easily frustrated, be kind to them. Give each person a job and let them stick to it. I know you probably don't know where you want to put anything, but in reality, you'll probably rearrange everything next month anyway. Just spend time with your family and enjoy it because you probably won't see them for a few more months.

2. You can stay close with your friends from home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqVUTdxnVuEvhxYMZSMnV2Fl7Ul7T0eNm9vMwQ0/

I decided to go to college out of state, whereas most of my friends from high school stayed closer to home. So, the summer before, I had the mindset that this would be our LAST summer together. That's just not true. Sure, college is crazy and you won't get to see your old friends every day, but as long as you put in the effort to continue the friendship, they'll be there. Basically, if you care enough to stay friends with them, you will. If you don't, you won't.

3. Save up as much money as possible over summer.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BueX9-rhPoF/

You may not think it, but college life is expensive, even without paying off your debt. With groceries, going out, coffee dates, and spontaneous road trips, money starts to add up. So, save up at least $2,000 before college. You'll thank yourself later for it. You won't have to worry as much and can still enjoy all the fun parts of college. I mean, it is all about making memories and you can't do that if you can't afford it.

4. It's not as hard as you think (most of the time).

https://www.instagram.com/p/BwXUE7WAB4r/

In high school, teachers give out this idea that college is going to be a million times harder, more professional, and more serious. In reality, most of the time, teachers are pretty laid back and as long as you turn in your assignments, you'll be fine. The only thing that can make college difficult is managing your time. No one there is going to hold your hand or make your schedule for you. So, you have to prioritize the important things and learn how to manage school, friends, a job, and a social life. Oh, and watch out for finals. Those sneak up on you too.

5. Don't let the summer slip away because you are looking forward to college.

Being a freshman, it's easy to start getting really excited about college. And you should be! But, don't regret your last summer before college because you are so antsy to get there. Spend time with your family and friends, more than you ever have before. Go to all your favorite places in your town. Adventure. Have fun. Save money. Make memories. College will come, faster than you know it, so don't take today for granted.

Being a senior in high school, you probably have the biggest case of senioritis. You want to get away from high school and the idea of being a "child," just to finally have the freedom and responsibility you have always wanted. But, before you get there, please remember these 5 things. Not saying I have any regrets, but I really wish someone would've told me these things before I left home and was on my own.