Advice That Every Future College Student Needs To Hear
Life Stages

Advice That Every Future College Freshman Needs To Hear

You'll laugh, you'll cry. You'll have the best, and simultaneously the worst, time of your life. Welcome to college.

87
Patrick Henry College students watch a football game.

Dear incoming college freshman:

I know that you're terrified. And excited. And anxious. I know that you're experiencing this crazy whirlwind of emotions and that one second, you can't wait for move-in day--but the next second, you're researching how to preemptively drop out.

Graduating high school and transitioning to college is one of the scariest and most confusing experiences you'll ever have. I was in your shoes once upon a time, too; I remember the exact day I graduated high school and community college. Now, two and a half years later, I'm about to graduate from Virginia Commonwealth University with a bachelor's in journalism, and guess what? I have that same feeling I had on the day I graduated high school, giddy with the ominous premonition that life is about to change in a way I can't predict.

It's making me reminisce on my own journey from high school to college, and reflect on what I've learned so far. There are so many things I wish I could go back and tell my younger, fresh-outta-high-school self (one of which is to stop posting so many snapchats). But, seeing as that's not entirely possible, I instead decided to write out those things in hopes that they might reach an incoming college freshman somewhere and help them in some way. Here is my best, most important advice for new students:

Calm the f*** down, everything is going to be okay.

I know this is really boilerplate stuff that you've probably heard a million times by now, but it's really one of the most crucial pieces of advice to take in. It's totally understandable that you're nervous--your life is about to flip upside down and you're likely going to be on your own for the very first time. You're absolutely allowed to be nervous, but don't let the anxiety of college cripple you. Because the truth is, no matter how your college experience goes, you're going to be fine. Whether it takes you extra time to graduate, you transfer schools, you drop out and get a job elsewhere--life won't come crashing down around you. You're going to struggle, just like you did in high school, but you're going to make it. Life will work itself out--it always does.

Yes, you actually can (and should) take 8 a.m. classes.

The one thing I constantly heard as an incoming freshman from my parents and older friends was: do not, under any circumstances, take early classes. People will tell you horror stories of flunking out because of poor attendance, but the truth is, that's not due to the class being early. People fail attendance grades because they choose not to show up--it's a completely conscious choice. In my college experience, I've take many early a.m. classes and yes, sometimes it was painful to get up in the morning, but once you get into a routine it just becomes second nature. Taking early classes allows you to start a healthy routine, and not fall into a bad habit of sleeping until 1 p.m. and wasting your day. Plus, if you regularly show up on time, it earns you a little bit of brownie points with your professors.

You don't have to go out partying every weekend.

Let's be honest: the party scenes at colleges are huge priorities for a lot of people--it's often the main attractors for larger state schools, and for a good reason. College parties can be intense, and honestly somewhat overwhelming. It's a lot of bodies, deafening music and various alcohols (among other substances), which, if you're anything like me, gets old quickly. Don't get me wrong, sometimes a good ol' throw down can be fun, but the party scene is not for everybody. Hardcore partying isn't the only way to have a memorable college experience. --there are a million and one things to do with friends (or by yourself) on campus or even in your dorm room on a Saturday night. If you like to go out every night, don't judge your friends who aren't up for it. And if partying isn't your thing, don't judge those who like it. Just try and have a good time.

Embrace your alone time.

Starting college is scary enough, but it's even more daunting when you don't have many (if any) friends attending the same university as you. You're transitioning from a familiar place full of familiar faces, to a place full of total and complete strangers all around you. Making friends isn't always easy, even in college, but it's not the same predicament as it is in high school. In high school, spending even minimal amounts of time by yourself is pretty much a death sentence--sitting by yourself in class or at lunch can subject you to ridicule and judgement. In college, however, you're becoming more independent than you ever have before, so alone time is pretty much necessary. I hardly ate my freshman year because I was too anxious of going out to eat by myself, and I ended up being miserable and losing weight unhealthily. So don't be scared to eat, study or even just chill in a common area by yourself--you'll be surprised at how many people are doing the same thing.

Use the days before classes start to map out campus and find your classrooms.

For me, one of the most stressful things as a freshman was finding my way around campus and locating classrooms--I've definitely experienced my fair share of sprinting around campus trying to find the right building and even walking into the wrong class. So, learn from my mistakes and take a day to explore where your classes are located on campus. Time how long it takes for you to walk or bike around so you know exactly when to leave, and don't just locate buildings--go inside and find the exact room number, because floor plans can be even more confusing than the campus itself. You'll feel that much less stressed when your first day of classes comes around, and saves you the embarrassment of having to walk out of the wrong class when lecture has already started.

Don't spend downtime in your dorm.

I know this piece of advice might seem odd--you're paying so much to live in a dorm and decorate it, why shouldn't you chill out there? And I'm not saying you should never ever spend time in your room; if you want to nap or get a quick bite to eat, that's fine, do what you need to. But the absolute worst thing you can do to your mental health is spend all of your downtime in your room. You're going to have a good chunk of free time to spend by yourself, and I know the campus is scary, unfamiliar territory, but just try to get out there. If you just want to surf the web or listen to music, do it in the library. Or in the park. Or in the student common area. Just don't spend too much time cooped up by yourself in your dorm, because it gets depressing fast. Even if you don't have many friends or things to do, doing nothing in public or simply where you don't sleep/eat/etc is refreshing and keeps you from hiding out from the rest of the world.

Don't feel bad about being undeclared or rushed to pick a major.

A lot of recent high school graduates claim to already know what they want to major in, and even make their university choice based on certain programs or tracks. Choosing what you want to major in is a huge step--it dictates your degree, your classes and what future steps you can take towards getting a job or higher education. So don't feel bad and definitely don't rush to pick a major simply because your roommate or your friends already have a plan. College is meant for figuring out what you want to do--you won't have the opportunity to dip your toes in hundreds of different subjects again, so don't take it for granted and use the time to really expand and test your interests. And honestly, it's unlikely that your friends will stick with the same major they dream about in high school. Rarely anyone stays with their very first major, and that's totally okay. Being undeclared simply means you don't have the rest of your life figured out yet, which, considering you were in high school just a few months ago, is probably a good thing.

Be open to change in all ways and forms.

You might think high school changed your personality or worldview, but trust me, it's nothing compared to how different you'll be coming out of college. I look back on who I was coming in as a freshman, and I barely recognize that person--not only in just my looks, but in my personality, my worldview, my opinions, my ambitions...pretty much everything is vastly different. College is a place full of different people, places and opportunities, so much so that it's nearly impossible to stay stagnant. Don't resist it, either--that's one of the most harmful things that you can do in the face of transition. I know it can be scary, but transition is the inescapable truth of life. You shouldn't resist change to not only yourself or your friends, but to your college expectations, too. If you find yourself unhappy in the major you picked, change it. If you start attending your dream school and then realize you actually hate it, transfer to another school. It's totally normal, and almost expected, to get in a place or program and realize it's not what you thought it would be, or just simply not what you want to spend time on. Don't spend your valuable time unhappy or forcing yourself--you deserve to be content in your choice of school, major, circle of friends, personality and everything else. Change is unfamiliar, and terrifying, but it is so, so worth it.

I could write a lot more, but I'll save you from reading all that (you're welcome). Plus, there are just some lessons or tidbits of information that you simply have to learn yourself.

Those are my words of wisdom for upcoming college freshman. If this could help any recent high school graduate feel better or simply less nervous in general for their college experience, then I'll be happy.

So, future freshman, don't worry too much. If I survived, you can too.