College is a world of its own and is an exciting time for every incoming Freshman. But along with the fun, there can also be some questions and nerves that overtake the minds. Here are 50 pieces of advice that everyone should hear before they enter their first year of college.
1. Do not take 8 AM classes.
2. Don’t take three hour classes that only meet once a week.
3. Bring tupperware to the dining hall to smuggle out extra food.
4. Never, ever, EVER, wear your lanyard around your neck. PLEASE.
5. You might not meet your college best friend until halfway through the year. Don’t stress about it.
6. Always buy paper towels and toilet paper. You can never have too much.
7. Actually use the fitness center, and don’t eat Chick-Fil-A every day. The Freshman Fifteen WILL hit you and when it does it will hit like a train.
8. Just let your roommates know when they do something wrong. Holding it in will just make it worse and next thing you know none of you are talking to each other.
9. Stick to your non-assigned, assigned seat in your classes.
10. Just because you got straight A’s in high school doesn’t mean you will in college. It’s okay to get a C every once in a while. Embrace it.
11. Call your mom or send her a text because it will make her day by 110% and because you will always need your mom.
12. You were popular in high school? No one cares.
13. You were a nerd in high school? No one cares.
14. You were in AP in high school? No one care.
15. Literally no one cares so don’t be embarrassed to just be yourself.
16. Don’t sign up for an early morning class, YOU WILL REGRET IT.
17. Don’t be afraid to take a day off for a mental break if you need it. One day worth of participation points or missed information is worth a breakdown.
18. Just suck it up and take out the trash.
19. Get a planner. I know you didn’t use it in high school but in college I promise you will.
20. Wake up an hour early to just drink your coffee and relax.
21. ALWAYS keep a phone charger, snacks, Hydroflask, earbuds, and a pony tail in your backpack at all times.
22. To recover a Microsoft Word document just open Word, click File, Info, Manage Versions, and Recover Unsaved Documents.
23. Eat breakfast. Take the time to make some eggs or have a slice of toast. Just EAT breakfast.
24. Choose the major YOU want. Not what your parents want.
25. Stay up and laugh with your roommate; even if you have a 7 AM class. Make memories.
26. Take time for you. It’s okay to say no.
27. But also make sure you say yes to things.
28. Some people will get into relationships, some will get married, and some will have kids. Don’t be disappointed if it isn’t happening to you. Everyone is on their own path.
29. Listen to that feeling in the pit of your stomach. 120% of the time it’s right.
30. Wear pajamas to class, go without makeup, bring a pillow pet, wear heels, and a full face of makeup. It doesn’t matter, you be you.
31. Join clubs, go to events, and get involved. You’ll meet some of the greatest people ever there.
32. Get an on-campus job. It’s another great way to meet people and you’ll be making money. A win-win.
33. You’re paying for these classes; at the very least you can pass it.
34. Go to the welcome events with your roommates. It’s a good way to get to know other people and your roommates!
35. Enjoy every moment. Don’t rush to grow up too fast.
36. Don’t bring a bike; it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
37. Make sure at least one person knows where you are.
38. Just do your laundry. The last thing you want is to be wearing dirty clothes for the fifth day in a row.
39. Clean your fridge.
40. Clean your bathroom.
41. Just keep things clean!
42. Save your money for either paying off loans after college or for post-graduation adventures. Those $5 cups of coffee add up. Save the money and you will be thanking yourself later.
43. GET A CREDIT CARD. PLEASE. DO IT. I KNOW IT CAN BE SCARY BUT YOU NEED ONE TO DEVELOP CREDIT.
44. Take your vitamins. It may sound like a small thing but it can help you out when flu season comes around.
45. Don’t run down the hallways. Please. Just don’t. People will literally hate you.
46. Don’t drink and drive. Stop someone from drinking and driving. Please, please, please! I will pay for your Uber if you just don’t drive while drunk. There are TOO many accidents and it is not worth someone’s life.
47. Respect authority. Don’t get angry if public safety asks for your I.D. They are just doing their job and trying to keep everyone safe. It can get annoying but I would rather scramble through my bag for my I.D. than have bad people sneak on campus.
48. You can get a lot of useful college necessities at the Dollar Store. Check it out.
49. Nothing good ever happens past 1 AM. A cop told me that once and it stands true to this day.
50. College is an adventure that has its ups and downs so just have fun and go along for the ride.
- 6 Key Pieces Of Advice For High School Seniors From A College ... ›
- Advice To Second Semester College Freshmen ›
- 5 Tips For College Freshmen Before Their First Exam ›
- 9 Pieces Of Real, Solid Advice For College Freshman ›
- 30 Pieces Of Advice For Incoming College Freshmen ›