To My Burnt Out Peers

To My Burnt Out Peers

You're almost there.

13
To My Burnt Out Peers
Photo by Bonnie O'Connor

Woohoo, you've made it! Midterm season is officially over! However, it seems as though we turn around and go straight from midterms to finals and the stress cycle begins once again.

As I was sitting in the science library this past week dreading all the work I had to do, I concluded a few things about the college experience.

First, there will always be a to-do list. I'm one of those people who finds satisfaction from crossing off a task on my list. The unfortunate thing about that though, is that it also makes me one of those people who is constantly overwhelmed by their to-do list. My best friend Kayla, however, made a really valid point that stood out to me. She mentioned that no matter what, the list will always be there. Whether we complete all the tasks or take a mental health day, the list will always be able to get done. However, we will not always be happy if we can only complete this list by sacrificing other things. My point in saying all of this is that it is so easy to get overwhelmed by the college experience and all that it requires of us, but the experience will always be there to be had. We have to prioritize our well -being and mental state in order to rest and be thankful for the opportunities we have.

Second, a test grade does not define your worth. I'm sure you've heard this over and over, but I now see first hand how valid this point really is. Myself, as well as so many of my friends, have spent way too much time overanalyzing our paths in life just because one class has made us feel unworthy of pursuing our chosen careers.

It's been tough for me to accept that the road to get to where I want to be has a few more bumps than I anticipated, but those bumps will make the end goal that much more fulfilling! So as we go into finals season, don't forget to pat yourself on the back for trying your hardest. At the end of the day, who you are is not based on what your transcript displays.

Lastly, it is okay to say no. Trust me, I totally understand having the classic case of "fear of missing out," but your happiness is far more important than having a picture to post or a story to tell. I'm a total advocate for having nights in to sleep or study. Sometimes we all just need a day to play catch-up and that's perfectly okay! Your people will still be there after a good night sleep, so go ahead and prioritize yourself. This is something I need to get better at doing, but I have realized that I have so much respect for people who are able to turn down certain social settings to study and keep their priorities in check. Although the social part of college is arguably one of the best parts of college, just remember to make time for yourself too.

So going into finals, remember who you are and what your goals are, and don't let the small bubble of college consume you. Your college experience is worth a lot, but so are you. Take this season by storm!