To All The People Who Struggle With How They Look

Loving yourself is the best thing you can ever do.

52
You Matter

Body image. Loving ourselves. Accepting who we are. We've all struggled with these things, guys and girls alike. And it's okay.

As we grow up, media makes us think that all girls need to be runway model skinny and guys need to be muscular with strong jaws. Well, the reality is, we are not all going to look like that, and we shouldn't feel ashamed about our bodies or who we are.

It's a struggle, learning to love yourself. There are going to be many things you don't like about yourself. I know I don't like a lot about myself, but I learned to embrace my flaws and not care what other people think about me. It is so difficult to do this when it really shouldn't be.

Start by looking in the mirror. If there are things about your personality you don't like, try to change them. If you don't want to change, that's okay, too, but you can't beat yourself up over something you aren't willing to change. I think that's where most of the problem lies.

Continue looking in the mirror, and look at your body. Accept the fact you have a big forehead (I know I do), embrace the scar on your leg, and don't let anyone tear you down. Most importantly, don't tear yourself down. Most people who struggle with their body image are people who are constantly telling themselves they aren't good enough. I'm here to tell you, you are.

Don't judge yourself so harshly because honestly? Most things about your body, you can't change. I can't magically make my ear lobes smaller. I can't say "presto!" and make my boobs any bigger. Naturally, that is.

I feel bad for people who undergo plastic surgery because they don't like how they look. It's basically like an "F U" to their genetic makeup. I get it, it's hard to be okay with how you look.

I'm not saying you have to be in love with yourself right now, but I am saying if you want to be confident and feel sexy (yes guys, you too), you need to accept who you are.

If someone asks you to change, especially a significant other, leave. If people don't love you for who you are, they aren't worth your time. They don't deserve to get to know you. And this applies to yourself, as well.

People are always going to be cruel, but the moment you can tell yourself that you're a king or queen, they can't get to you. Those bullies in middle school will suddenly seem pathetic.

For those of you still struggling with this concept, remember that there are other people in your life that love you for who you are. Your parents, your friends, your dogs, and even if you don't know me, I love you for who you are, too.

I understand what it's like to feel worthless and beaten up emotionally. It will get better. You will survive. And never be afraid to let go of the toxic people in your life. Whether it's a friend or lover, if they don't see you for your worth, you won't see the potential in yourself to be a better you.