A Thank You To Alpha Delta Pi For Showing Me What A Real Sisterhood Was

These girls truly showed me how strong our bond was and that no matter where a sister goes, there will always be that support and encouraging love.

465
Bailey Martin

I went to Middle Tennessee State my freshman year of college, a place where I knew nobody and nothing about a town. I had told myself I wasn't going to go through recruitment and I wasn't going to get into all of that but then my roommate totally convinced me otherwise.

I can remember my mom saying, “what are you thinking? Do you really want to do this?”

Yes. I did. And I’m seriously so glad that I let my roommate convince me. I mean how else was I supposed to meet all these people at a school I was so unfamiliar with. Recruitment at MTSU was a lot different than it is here at Ole Miss. It literally lasted four days instead of a whole week and there are only six sororities.

So pref night comes and I was so nervous, I just really wanted ADPi to ask me back and offer me a bid the next day! And they did! I was so excited, my roommate and I were going to be sisters. We went from strangers to roommates, to best friends, to sisters and someone that I am oh so thankful for and to have in my life.

I remember walking into the house during one of the rounds and knowing it was right, I wanted to feel wanted, and fit in and here I did. It was so important to me to find this “home away from home” and friends who are there for you to pick you up at the Nashville airport last minute or ride with you when you get your eyes dilated, those are my sisters.

I loved it, it was a smaller chapter so everyone literally knew everyone, it was fun, and welcoming. It showed me sisterhood and the real meaning of friendship. Alpha Delta Pi at MTSU will forever be my home and I’m so thankful for every single sister I have there.

The next year I came to Ole Miss and that was a scary transition for me. I knew I wanted to re-affiliate but I was terrified that I would get denied, or if I did get in that I wouldn't meet anyone and the chapter was so big that it was very intimidating walking into to be a part of and join.

But all I can say is those feelings absolutely disappeared, of course after all the paperwork was taken care of and I was actually a member again. The first day at the house I had a girl come up to me and put her number in my phone who later turned out to be my roommate and one of my best friends. The girls were so nice, our house mom was so sweet and welcomed me with open arms.

This was a sisterhood.

So to my sisters at MTSU, thank you for helping me find my home, and to my sisters at Ole Miss, thank you for welcoming me back home. Yall both have a special meaning to me and have bettered me as a person and helped me so much.

I've met sisters from all over, from coast to coast, and I can truly say there is just a special friendship had between ADPi's. It's seriously one of the best things I have ever been a part of.

It's funny how life happens and you do something you told yourself you were never going to do, but this I can honestly say I'm so glad I didn't take my own advice for once.