The oldest surviving business in Indian Occupied Kashmir

Amidst Resistance Movements and Pandemics, now the business is dying a silent death.

75

The 'Arq-i-Gulab' shop in Srinagar is just a few steps from the Khanqah-e-Moula shrine in Downtown, it is the sole remaining rose water distillery in Kashmir and one of the oldest surviving businesses. The faint aroma of rose petals wafts through the dimly illuminated ancient establishment. A once-bustling business now sits empty, possibly witnessing the demise of an age-old craft.

A Persian couplet inside the shop portrays the Kozgar family's liking with the Sufi Saint Mir Syed Ali Hamdani, undeniably: "Yaani Aan Baani Musalmani, Mir Syed Ali Hamdani" (Mir Syed Ali Hamdani is the author of Islam here).

Arranged near the Khanqah-e-Moula sanctum in the bylanes of Downtown Srinagar, the little wooden outlet contains a lot of the decanters which were once stacked up with combinations.

Around 500 years back the Kozgars came from Turkey and settled and Kashmir.

Syed Mohammad Nooristani, the coordinator of the business knew the forte of making rose water and various syrups physically. He set up the shop in the Khanqah territory of Fateh Kadal and history began.

His Rosewater has been perfuming the Holy places in Srinagar for a serious long time. It is similarly sprinkled over devotees as blessings. People use the rosewater for sherbets and cooking.

The Kozgars were truly Unanis and Aroma Makers. They made local manifestations also. As of now, they practice essentially in rosewater a few syrups.

The rose water is put away in Emerald Glass Jugs which were imported from England and France.

The business is at present supervised by Abdul Aziz Kozgar, a retired government official. Aziz doesn't run it for money any more. He only longings to keep a legacy, at any rate he breathes in his last. "I'm keeping up the business just to save the legacy a few additional years. There is a little advantage in the business" says Aziz, who right now runs the shop full time ensuing subsequent to resigning from a government organization.

Aziz is the last individual in the family associated with this business.

His Father, Habibullah Kozgar would design more than 50 sorts of syrups other than Rosewater. Rosewater has been used for restorative purposes in the valley for a long time. After the hour of neighborhood specialists who embraced rose water and other local blends that arrived at a decision an extended period of time earlier, the demand of rose water went down drastically.

"The capacity to genuinely set up the end has no credible takers as the benefits from it are altogether less. Two or three people came to me to get comfortable with the workmanship, yet they started making the rose water using mechanical and logical methods" says Aziz. He expresses that logical or mechanical methodologies would kill its outstanding and energetic significance.

Aziz's dad would prepare more than 50 syrups other than Rosewater. He says that the things are no more pursued. "I prepare several syrups like Arq-e-Chandan, Kaah-Zabaan, Arq-e-Badiyaan, and Arq-e-Neelofar. They are quick answers for body heat and are amazing for stomach and kidneys," says Aziz while filling a plastic container with rose water for a customer from Soura, Srinagar. The customer terms Aziz's things unassuming and best. He leaves with a consoling smile. Abdul Waheed, Aziz's more young kin who causes him in making syrups is an allopathic expert by calling. Other than a maker, he is a buyer too. "I take the two sorts. At whatever point I use anti-toxins, and drink syrup that has a cooling impact on my stomach," says Waheed.

Aziz similarly acknowledges that Unani treatment was enormously improved and captivated, and it would patch people significantly speedier and better, having no side effects.

"I use the Rosewater because it has alleviating properties that help me with diminishing the redness of disturbed skin, discard skin irritation, dermatitis, dispose of skin break out and skin inflammation. It is a mind blowing cleaning specialist and helps in dispensing with oil and soil amassed in blocked pores", says Sana, a local youngster living nearby the shop.

The rose water is only open in his shop and sold in superfluous plastic compartments the containers are not pre-stuffed stamped or named. He sells Rosewater for as low as Rs. 40 ($0.5) for 200ml.

Aziz yields that he sometimes feels the squeezing variable of the shop's old history regardless of the way that the business doesn't give a ton of living, anyway he is joyfully untroubled by such concerns. "I will continue with the business till my last pant" Aziz adds.

His child isn't excited about the business, making him the last man to know this craftsmanship. He is sharp that someone should approach and get comfortable with the claim to fame after him, so it doesn't pass on a trademark downfall.

"The past couple of years have been extraordinary due to lockdowns and COVID" he expressed, adding that the best troubles looked by the business are Kashmir's developing society and change in taste. Even after his rushed proposal to protect the family and the standard legacy, the business may not make due in this mechanized and concentrated world.