I Sat Down With A CA Fitness Coach To Talk About Virtual Training

I Sat Down (Virtually) With Adam Musgrave To Talk About Coronavirus's Impact On The Wellness Industry

Just because coronavirus has greatly impacted the wellness industry doesn't mean wellness stops.

8304

If you're anything like me, your weekly fitness classes are a huge part of your routine. They keep me fit, healthy, and sane. Honestly, these classes help my mental health stay in tip-top shape just as much as they help my physical health.

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, gyms and fitness studios are facing temporary closure. Yes, this means my personal routine is thrown a curveball, but this also means the wellness industry is one of many that is looking at unemployment and hardship. Do I miss my Monday spin class? Of course. But do the wellness professionals whose worlds were flipped upside down have a lot more to overcome than a slight change of routine? Absolutely. Thankfully, if anyone can prove the ultimate flexibility, it's the wellness industry.

I'm talking to wellness professionals to learn how COVID-19 has impacted their lives, as well as how they're adjusting how they teach to make quarantine a little healthier for all of us. Today, I chatted with Adam Musgrave, a personal trainer in San Fransisco.

What do you teach? 

I teach primarily strength and hypotrophy training, focused on bodybuilding and powerlifting movements with free weights and machines. I do this out of a wonderful studio, SkyeFit, here in San Francisco. I've been teaching for over 10 years.

Why did you start teaching? 

I was an athlete in college — I realized I enjoyed the training aspect as much as I enjoyed the games. I developed a real passion for fitness and decided I wanted to share my knowledge and passion with other people.

What do you love most about teaching? 

I personally love that I'm able to talk about something I love and be in a gym environment. I also really value the relationships that I form with my clients and the positive impact I'm able to help them achieve, both mentally and physically.

What is the current state of your studio? 

Due to the COVID-19 lockdown, we are currently closed.

What virtual classes are you offering? How can people find those classes? 

I have been offering half-hour, one-on-one sessions that utilize available equipment or household items for strength and hypotrophy training programs. You can inquire about my programs by direct messaging me on Instagram.

What is your biggest takeaway regarding COVID-19? 

Personally, it has made me more resourceful when it comes to equipment. And it's shown me not to get pigeonholed by the gym. Professionally, it has shown me the world is not as big as I think, and getting online and working with people from different parts of the U.S. and abroad has been amazing. It opens up a new and exciting dynamic to my service.

What long-term effects do you see COVID-19 having on the wellness industry? 

I could definitely see a rise in home gym setups being a more permanent staple in many people's fitness routines. I can also see the potential for more fitness studios, due to people wanting a more personal experience with fewer people near them in the gym.

What is one thing you want the world to know about the wellness industry, especially in light of COVID-19? 

That we're here to help and it should be utilized not only for a healthy body but a healthy mind and spirit. Don't be afraid to ask for help or seek out resources to get you started or to keep you on track.

If you are a wellness professional interested in sharing your story, please email lily.moe@theodysseyonline.com.

Get ready for your home workout with our favorite home gym picks!

As an Amazon partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.