5 Actresses On The Rise You Need To Know About

Actresses to keep an eye on in the foreseeable future.

119
Huff Post

Lingering in the backdrop of American Culture since the roaring 20's, the allure of Tinseltown shows no signs of fading, and even now, continues to maintain its strong grip on minds of all ages and sizes in the Western World. Today, the tourist crowded streets leading up to the very steps of Dolby Theatre remain a popular breeding ground where aspiring actors and actresses from all over the world flock to with the hopes of one day having their name appear on one of the countless stars that mark the sidewalks stretching from Hollywood/Highland to Hollywood/Vine. In a place where few are remembered and many are forgotten, here are five actresses who's work in recent memory will garner much interest towards their careers in the foreseeable future:

5. Taissa Farmiga

At the tender age of 22, the younger sister of revered Vera Farmiga is slowing establishing a fruitful career of her own. Although Taissa Farmiga does not display any of the dramatic depth as exhibited by her elder sibling who is 21 years her senior, 21 years is plenty of time to mature and hone one's acting craft.

Breaking into the film industry for her role in "Higher Ground", her riveting performance translated into receiving a contract from the top-rated talent agency ICM Partners. Since then, the younger Farmiga has gone on to star in Sofia Coppola's Hollywood crime satire "The Bling Ring" and Hannah Fidell's "6 Years", drawing praise for performances in both, with critics making note of her raw, naturalistic acting style. Currently best known for her roles as Violet Harmon and Zoe Benson in anthology television series "American Horror Story", Farmiga has recently been cast in leading role in "The Nun" -- a spinoff of the acclaimed horror franchise "The Conjuring".

4. Olivia Cooke

Like Taissa, Olivia Cooke also possesses strong ties to Vera Farmiga having starred alongside her as Emma Decody in the acclaimed A&E horror television drama "Bates Motel". A role Cooke is currently best known for.

However, her TV endeavors aside, the young British starlet has also begun accruing success trying her hand in a feature film. Appearing with Brention Thwaites and Laurence Fishburne in the well-reviewed "Signal", Cooke's rapturous performance in "Me and Earl and the Dying Girl" helped garner the movie the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival.

Set to star in her first major project in the form of "Ready Player One" which will be directed by Steven Spielberg, Cooke's careers seems to only be spiraling upward. However, concerns have been raised since the writer contracted to author the script is Zak Penn -- who's screenplays have seldom translated into success in the theater. Nevertheless, what distinguishes the best actors from the mediocre ones lies in their ability to transform less-than-stellar writing into something memorable.

3. Sophie Turner

Starring in her first onscreen role at the mere age of 15, Sophie Turner left audiences speechless with her heartbreaking performance as Sansa Stark in HBO's rapturously acclaimed, and highest rated show "Game of Thrones". Capturing and embodying the third of the Stark siblings for what will soon be seven seasons, Turner's acting profile has grown along with that of her character.

Cast in her first major feature role as Jean Grey in "X-Men: Apocalypse", Turner is set to reprise the same theatrical duty in "X-Men: Dark Phoenix". Some critics have already begun to dub her as the future of the X-Men franchise.

2. Emma Roberts

The niece of Julia Roberts, Emma Roberta has rolled far enough to escape the shadow of the tree in order to build a successful acting brand of her own. In spite of several controversies that have arisen in her young career involving her co-star on "American Horror Story" Evan Peters, Roberts has managed to keep her personal issues divorced from her cinematic pursuits.

Starring a wide array of films from gutsy thriller "Nerve" to the American Drama "Palo Alto", a vast majority of Roberts's performances have been the subject of critical acclaim. Though she has yet to win a major award in the form of a Golden Globe, an Oscar, or an Emmy, such a moment could only be on the horizon for the young starlet.

1. Lily Collins

The daughter of legendary singer Phil Collins, there was never any question that Lily Collins was primed for stardom. Before breaking into the world of motion picture, Collins began as a journalist, writing for Seventeen, Teen Vogue and the LA Times before graduating with a degree in broadcast journalism from the University of Southern California.

Receiving her first movie role as Collins Tuohy while starring alongside Sandra Bullock in the Academy Award-winning "The Blindside", Collins went on to appear in "Mirror Mirror", "Stuck In Love" and "Mortal Instruments: City of Bones" -- the cinematic adaption of Cassandra Clare's popular "Mortal Instruments" book series -- before receiving her first Golden Globe nomination for her work in Warren Beatty's "Rules Don't Apply".

Set to appear in the much-anticipated Netflix films "Okja" and "To the Bone" which have already attracted much critical acclaim, it may only be a matter of time before the next Golden Globe nomination Collins receives ends up translating into a win.