Get Active With Pokemon Go

Get Active With Pokemon Go

They've been trying to make us more active for years, and now they've succeeded.

8
Get Active With Pokemon Go
Deviant Art

Sadly, I haven't had much free time to really get into the game, but I'm just as excited as everyone else! I've been waiting for this since I started playing FireRed on my Gameboy SP. I put hundreds of hours on that game, and all the other games I played after that. Now I can put those hours to good use by adding in some exercise! And probably wasting a little gas going to the PokeStops late at night.

Obesity in America is a real problem, with over one third of adults being obese and similar statistics in children and teenagers with around one third as well. What better way to get us active than introducing a game you can play in the real world? Pokemon has been an extremely popular game for as long as I can remember, and it has millions of fans, so creating this interactive game isn't just beneficial to the developers but to the fans as well. I've heard people say they thought the Pokemon trend died long ago, but I know for a fact that's not true. Pokemon trainers have just been inside this whole time. And now, we get to see the sunlight.

I love that Pokemon Go was created for entertainment with a side of health benefits. Getting some vitamin D and a walk, run, or bike ride is a big plus. And it doesn't even feel like you're exercising because you're having too much fun! Not only does it come with a daily dose of exercise, but Pokemon GO also encourages socializing. Isn't that crazy? A cell phone, typically the root of antisocial behavior, being the source of socializing thanks to this game? What? I've seen so many people befriending each other (like I said, I haven't been able to play much so I have yet to experience this) just for having the similar interest in playing the game. Pokemon trainers are easy to spot now; we'll be outside on our phones typically in small groups.

Pokemon Go helps establish new friendships, provides entertainment, and encourages exercising. What else could this game do to benefit us? Well, there is one more thing that comes to mind. It can bring you closer to your friends and family that already share an interest in Pokemon. Now that there is an interactive game we can all play together, we can all spend time bonding with each other. Thanks, Pokemon Go!