When I was in middle school, I started getting acne. Not the occasional pimple, but painful, persistent acne. The kind that obliges you do learn how to put on foundation and concealer at age 14 because you wouldn't be caught dead without makeup covering your breakouts. The kind that drives you to try every single skincare product, gimmick, and every promising new ad in the facewash aisle of Target. I slept with my makeup on at sleepovers and went swimming with waterproof makeup on. I thought it'd just go away on its own, or with any of the tens or hundreds of products I tried, but it didn't. I suffered through the acne for a long time, until I started taking things into my own hands. Covering it up with makeup was only a surface-level solution. I took it upon myself to delve deep into the skincare world, research products, and find my permanent solution. I took a picture of my skin in April of 2019, and by June of 2019 my skin was finally thriving like it never had before. I'm no dermatologist, but now, I can finally share the products and tidbits that helped me, in hopes that they can help someone else.

1. FRESH Soy Face Cleanser

This face wash is one of my absolute favorite products of all time. It has done wonders for my skin. It isn't harsh, doesn't completely dry your face out, but leaves you feeling super fresh and clean. This product, paired with always washing my face with cold water, always leaves me feeling refreshed.

2. LANEIGE Water Sleeping Mask

Sleeping masks are a total game-changer. Once I started using them I realized I could never stop. This overnight mask clears and purifies my skin overnight, all while totally rehydrating my face without making it feel greasy or oily.

3. GLOW RECIPE Watermelon + AHA Glow Sleeping Mask Mini

Again, sleeping masks are your friend. This one smells like watermelon! I put it in my fridge so it gives me a cooling sensation when I apply it at night.

4. SUNDAY RILEY Good Genes All-In-One Lactic Acid Treatment

While this product isn't the cheapest, it seriously helped me lighten up dark spots on my skin and made my skin appear much less unsightly. It also assisted in retexturizing my face.

5. GLAMGLOW SUPERMUD® Activated Charcoal Treatment Mask

This is my holy grail face mask for any time I had a stubborn breakout I really needed to tame.

6. PETER THOMAS ROTH Max Complexion Correction Pads

These Correction Pads are an essential component of my skincare routine. They helped out an immense amount in completely eradicating my acne, and shrink any pimples down to nothing within hours.

7. FRESH Black Tea Kombucha Antioxidant Essence Mini

I use this essence in the morning and it makes my skin glow. It improved my skin texture and made it appear much smoother.

8. FRESH Vitamin C Glow Moisturizer

I've tried so many moisturizers, all targeting different things. However, this moisturizer is my favorite by far. It doesn't make me break out, which many others did. Finding a good moisturizer is essential.

9. THE ORDINARY Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%

This product eradicates my breakouts, gives my skin a healthy glow, and controls my oil immensely. Another plus is it's super affordable!

10. MOUNT LAI De-Puffing Jade Facial Roller

This jade roller is a little pick-me-up for my skin. I use it to help the products I apply to my skin absorb better, although it has many other benefits such as firming the skin and supporting the body's lymphatic system in detoxifying the body.