I Don't Give Myself & My Accomplishments The Validation They Deserve, But I Should

I need to stop diminishing my accomplishments and I need to stop comparing myself to others.

114
Lizbeth Gomez

I don't give myself and my accomplishments the validation they deserve. I don't think of myself as the brightest one out there and I definitely don't consider myself to be an exceptional example. I do so much, have so much on my plate, and still manage to get it done, but this contradicting voice in my head won't let me accept my doing's as "great".

Since I was able to understand it, since I was able to figure it out, since I was able to get it done, then it must've not been that hard. Often times I am the sole reason for my stress. I want to self-validate my actions so often that I don't accept my accomplishments as successful enough, and I try putting something else on my plate. Once I have accomplished that too, I start the process again. It's never-ending and never good enough.

Some may say that this is good because it always has me doing more and taking on more challenges, but it's exhausting feeling as if you're not doing enough. While the exterior world validates me, I cannot validate myself, and it has become one of the most frustrating things in my life.

The thing is, I only feel this way about academics and career-related things. Going to such a big university means there will always be someone smarter, someone more successful, and someone leaps ahead of me. As much as I want to be right there, right behind them I often times forget to remind myself that there are people right behind me as well. I am not last, but I will never be first either - and that's okay. My accomplishments deserve more self-validation than I give them.