An Open Letter To The Person In The Handicap Stall.

I shouldn't have to wait for your phone conversation to be over.
Mary Rom
Mary Rom
3

To the person in the accessible stall,

I hope you're having a great day, because I really was too. Then, out of nowhere, I see a closed stall, and wait patiently for it to be available for me to use. To my dismay, I don't see someone in a wheelchair coming out of the stall, I see you. The one with the thousands of bags that you could absentmindedly scatter around your feet while using the bathroom.

I get it trust me, it's big, and has a lot more leg room than those other stalls. While you go in that stall for more leg room, it isn't a choice for me. That is the only stall my wheelchair would even remotely fit in. Those handrails are pretty much the only thing that keep me from slipping, or losing my balance.

When you finally come out of the stall, you may turn red, and apologize profusely because instead of actually using the bathroom, you were actually just having a long phone conversation. Or you might just look at me, and shrug me off, feeling as if you did nothing wrong (which in your mind you probably didn’t). And my personal favorite, you might open the stall, walk past me and act like you didn’t see me at all.

Sincerely,

Someone who needs the stall for more than the extra leg room.