Accepting The Invitation To Become An Ambassador For Christ

The important of answering His call to represent His goodness.

“We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.” 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 (NIV)

"We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors."

I remember the first time that I was asked to be an ambassador for a jewelry line. It was a tiny and brand new company (maybe 100 followers) but I was a freshman in high school and basically compared it to Cartier. I didn’t even go through with it because the deal I was given was barely a deal.

I was, however, feeling on top of the world because someone asked ME to represent them. I was chosen by this jewelry maker to show off her designs. Thinking back to how excited I was makes me get a glimpse of understanding into how excited I should be that Christ wants me to represent His design. I have been chosen by the Creator to be an ambassador for Him, demonstrating his love and his goodness to the world around me.

"as though God were making his appeal through us."

Another version of the verse reads, “as though God were pleading through us.” Last week, my church played a scene from Facing the Giants. The coach has a player, his captain, bear crawl across the field, blindfolded with another player on his back. He blindfolds him so that he keeps going until he has absolutely nothing left. The coach encourages and motivates the player has he moves across the field and finally the player can go no further and drops.

He removes the blindfold and realizes that he crawled all the way to the end zone – 50 yards further than he needed to go. The coach tells him, “God’s gifted you with the ability of leadership; don’t waste it.” The scene makes me think of this verse. The coach is pleading with his player to keep going and to give it everything he has. God is relentless in pursuit of his children.

He is pleading through us to keep fighting the good fight because he will give us His strength. He has given us all the ability to lead people to His kingdom. Don’t waste it.

The Creator of the universe has called us to represent him. He has chosen us to show what He has made – to be an ambassador for his design. Be alert and listen for his call because what he has for us is worth fighting for. Fight and keep walking with him until you have absolutely nothing left. Seek him diligently and he will give you everything you need to make it to your end zone. Being a follower of Jesus is difficult but the joy that only He can provide does not compare to the earthly struggles that we will face.

So, take a minute to be excited. Take time out of your busy day to reflect on the fact that Jesus Christ wants you to represent Him. Have the "on top of the world" feeling because you were chosen to show off His work. Then, take another minute to realize that you have to keep fighting. When the feeling of excitement wears off and we realize that this task is not easy, we are tempted to want to take the easy way out. Realize that you must keep going until you have nothing left. The end zone is so worth the fight of making it across the field.