And The Oscar Goes To...

And The Oscar Goes To...

My 2017 Academy Award Predictions
8

It's finally time for arguably the most anticipated award ceremony of the year--The 89th Annual Academy Awards Ceremony. A night of glamour, tears, and typically, a lot of Meryl Streep. Jimmy Kimmel will surely keep us entertained and laughing throughout the night and most likely will provide comedic relief through a few hundred digs at Matt Damon. Tonight will surly be a night of star studded performances and tear jerking acceptance speeches but mostly another historic night of our favorite actors, directors, and producers, being honored with the most prestigious Hollywood award out there. We all dream in gold... but who will take home the gold?

THE BIG SEVEN:

Best Picture: La La Land

A film for dreamers, "La La Land" combined ambition and love in such a classic way. It's more than your typical "boy-meets-girl" love story, it was realistic and unconventional. It would be cynical to assume this movie is no more than a careerist attempt to enlighten audiences. No, this was more than that. It's a timeless and well-rounded piece of cinematic art that will continue to amaze audiences years after its release. It's no wonder the film is nominated for a whopping 14 Oscars. I predict we will see "La La Land" take home the award for Best Picture this year.

Actor In A Leading Role: Casey Affleck

He already won a Golden Globe and BAFTA award for his performance in Manchester by the Sea this year, which is why I predict he will soon walk away with his first Academy Award for Best Actor in a Leading Role. A heartbreaking story about love, loss, and grievance, so well portrayed we can't imagine the award going to anybody more deserving.

Actress In A Leading Role: Emma Stone

Emma captivated audiences and critics with her astounding performance in this unconventional love story. Her character Mia is passionate, quirky, and irresistibly lovable - quite similar to Emma herself. We've watched her grow as a performer and can now confidently say she has reached new heights with her performance in "La La Land".

Actor In A Supporting Role: Mahershala Ali

His powerful performance in "Moonlight" has left a lasting impression on audiences and critics. We didn't see this coming but in the end found ourselves completely immersed in his passion and influenctial interpretation of his characters struggle through life. This is Ali's first Oscar nomination, which only makes his predicted win even more astounding.

Actress In A Supporting Role: Viola Davis

Viola Davis plays a loving mother and wife in this heartfelt film about a families struggle through life. Her performance was painfully honest and wildly powerful. Davis is a three-time Academy Award nominee and is sure to finally take home her own gold statue tonight for her emotional and captivating performance in "Fences".

Animated Feature Film: Zootopia

A touching story about an unlikely duo captivated audiences young and old with it's clever storyline and charismatic characters. It's no secret Zootopia will take home the Oscar tonight for this true underdog story.

Directing: Damien Chazelle

An obvious choice for his dazzling creation "La La Land", Chazelle is sure to present his first acceptance speech this year as he takes home an Oscar for best achievement in directing. He made bold decisions and pushed himself to create a memorable experience for his audience. Chazelle's retro take on a present day love story was fresh, funny and utterly charming.

THE REST:

Cinematography: La La Land

Costume Design: Jackie

Documentary (Feature): O.J.: Made in America

Documentary (Short Subject): The White Helmets

Film Editing: La La Land

Foreign Language Film: A Man Called Ove

Music (Original Score): La La Land

Music (Original Song): "City of Stars" from La La Land

Makeup and Hairstyling: Suicide Squad

Production Design: La La Land

Short Film (Animated): Piper

Short Film (Live Action): Sing

Visual Effects: The Jungle Book

Sound Editing: Hacksaw Ridge

Sound Mixing: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Moonlight

Writing (Original Screenplay): Manchester by the Sea