A.C. Milan's summer transfer window closes

The Rossoneri quietly reload, but is it enough?

35

The 2021 summer transfer window has officially closed. A.C. Milan brought in a total of 12 signings after securing their return to the UEFA Champions League at the end of last season. Despite losing a few key players, Paolo Maldini and Frederic Massara kept busy and focused on replacing those key spots, while continuing to add necessary depth. Let's dive into everything as we take a look at all of the action from A.C. Milan's summer window.

First, here are the ten players that Milan said goodbye to during this summer window:

G. Donnarumma

Calhanoglu

Mandzukic

A. Donnarumma

Brescianini

Colombo

Pobega

Caldara

Laxalt

Hauge

Now let's dive into the Rossoneri's 12 new signings:

Fikayo Tomori - Centre-back

One of a few different players that Milan was able to bring in from Chelsea is centre-back, Fikayo Tomori, who arrived at Milan last season on a loan that came with a 30m euro purchase option. After Tomori displayed nothing but dominance on his loan season, it was no surprise that Milan wanted to purchase the 23-year-old defender. However, they believed the price to be too high and managed to talk the price down to 25m euro. Tomori is now under a four-year contract with Milan that is good until 2025.

Brahim Diaz - Forward/Attacking Midfielder 

Diaz, who many of you may remember played for Milan last season while on loan from Real Madrid, rejoins Milan as their new no. 10 on a new two-year loan deal worth 3m euro. This deal comes attached with a purchase option worth 22m, as well as a buy-back option for Madrid that is set at 27m euro. I like this deal because Maldini was able to get Diaz as an investment for two years to see if he can develop into a long-term no. 10 for the club. But it also gives Milan the chance to make a nice chunk of money off of him should we choose to take the purchase option and Madrid wants to keep him.

Sandro Tonali - Midfielder

A personal favorite Milanista of mine, Sandro Tonali, was officially purchased this summer by Milan after playing the last season on a 10m euro loan for the Rossoneri from the Italian club, Brescia. The original loan deal featured a purchase option of 15m euro with an additional 10 in bonuses. However, Milan was able to break down Brescia and negotiate the option that we capitalize on: a 7m euro purchase with 3m euro in bonuses. Tonali, like Calabria (another favorite of mine), seemed more than happy to take a pay-cut on his contract as well to ensure more money being available for the club. Both Tonali and Calabria embody the "Milanista Way" as they used their love and loyalty to the state of the club as a top priority in negotiating these contracts. Tonali scored his first goal for Milan in the second match of the season against Cagliari off of a set piece that looked nearly identical to the very first goal that club legend Andrea Pirlo ever scored for Milan. Obviously, it is too early to expect Sandro Tonali to turn into what Pirlo was for Milan, but it certainly would be exciting to see such a thing happen.

Mike Maignan - Goalkeeper

A move that left many people talking is the signing of Mike Maignan on a permanent 13m euro transfer from Lille. Maignan, who just won the Ligue 1 title last season, arrived at Milan on a 5-year deal to replace former fan-favorite, Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma. Donnarumma left in favor of sitting the bench for PSG and barely making more money than what was offered to him by both Milan and Juventus, leaving the Milanisti feeling betrayed and in an uproar. Maignan has been very good so far for Milan, giving up just one goal that wasn't even his fault in the first two games of the season so far.

Olivier Giroud - Striker 

Arriving from Chelsea on a 1m euro permanent deal that includes another million in bonuses, this truly has to be considered a gigantic steal for the club. Chelsea and Milan clearly have a solid transfer relationship, plus Chelsea and Giroud were in mutual agreement that it was time to part ways, so this deal worked for everyone in the end. Giroud has already scored two goals for the Rossoneri in just the first two games of the season, and seems hellbent on breaking this supposed "no.9 curse" that many Milanisti confidently believe has been plaguing our club for some years now. This deal could also prove to be vital to our UEFA Champions League run, since Zlatan's health concerns are becoming more and more of an eyebrow-raiser.

Alessandro Florenzi - Full-Back

Florenzi arrives on loan from Roma for 1m euro, with a 4m option attached. Milan had their eyes on a number of right-backs but went with Florenzi, as he provides versatility for manager Stefano Pioli on that right side of the pitch. Florenzi is usually a right-back, but has shown plenty of ability to play at the right wing, as well as a right wing-back. This not only will allow Pioli to use Florenzi to properly rotate the squad in positions where we lack depth, using just one player to do so, but is also gives Pioli the chance to play around with different formations, knowing he know has a number of players who can thrive in different formations. His versatility, skill, and experience in Serie A are three defining traits that make this a steal for A.C. Milan.

Fodè Ballo-Tourè - Left Back

Another full-back added for depth is the 24 year-old French left-back, who arrived from Monaco on a four-year permanent deal that cost 5m euro. Theo Hernandez would definitely remain the club's starting left-back, however it is natural that he will need to rest every now and then. Plus, he was finally called up by France for the first time in his senior career so the addition of Ballo-Tourè could prove crucial to maintaining consistency and balance on that left side of Milan's defense. He is young and full of potential. And, honestly, who better to develop from than a club with Theo Hernandez as starter and the great Paolo Maldini working upstairs?

Pietro Pellegri - Striker

A quality move here from Maldini sees a 20 year-old Italian striker brought to Milan on 1m euro loan from Monaco, with an option to buy for 6m plus an extra million in bonuses. With legendary strikers Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Olivier Giroud leading the team's attack, Maldini seems to have capitalized on the veterans' presences bringing on a young, Italian striker to be mentored for the future. Milanisti, like most fans of domestic clubs, love to see stars with the same nationality as the nation they are playing in. It would be a great sight to see Pellegri join the ranks of Tonali and Calabria, amongst a few others, in youthful and exciting Italian talents to watch at Milan.

Tièmouè Bakayoko - Centre Midfielder 

This was a move that absolutely everybody seemed excited about: the return of Bakayoko from Chelsea. This move, which is a 2m euro two-year loan with an option worth 15m euro, is crucial because it adds serious depth to an already dominant Milan midfield. But even more important, the contract of Franck Kessiè expires at the end of this season. With talks between Milan and Kessiè's agent not getting far, Maldini and Massara seem to have made an insurance move by securing a player who not only loves A.C. Milan and wishes to stay here for a very long time but has mentioned it feels as though he's never left. Even if Milan is able to extend Kessiè, this still turns out to be a great movie as both Kessiè and Bennacer will be playing in the African Cup of Nations competition, so Bakayoko and Tonali are likely to be our starting midfield during that time.

Junior Messias - Attacking Midfielder

Messias arrives to Milan on a 2.6m euro loan that comes with a purchase option worth 5.4m euro, plus an extra million in bonuses. The signing of the 32 year-old Brazilian midfielder has received tons of criticism from "Milan Twitter," as Messias has had a very short-lived professional career thus far, having only become a professional footballer at the age of 27. Messias has also spent most of his career in Serie D and Serie C, and only played in Serie A for a brief period with Crotone. However, Messias was crucial to the promotion of Crotone and Maldini believes Messias can truly thrive under Milan's current system and squad.

Milanisti have been wrong about their doubts of certain players before, more recently know is the early hatred of Simon Kjaer. But we all know how fundamental to our defense Kjaer's contributions have become.

Yacine Adli- Attacking Midfielder

Adli's arrival in Milan is a bittersweet move. Why? Because we technically have to give him back. Despite the deal being a permanent move worth 8m euro plus bonuses, Milan was only able to get him for such a deal because they agreed to loan him back to his Ligue 1 club, Bordeaux, for the remainder of the 21/22 season. Adli will join the Rossoneri next season, which may bring more sense to the minds of the Milanisti who were confused about the Messias signing.

Chaka Traorè - Winger

Arriving on a permanent deal worth about 600k euro plus bonuses, Traorè, at the impressive age of 16, still made three Serie A appearances for Parma last season, despite how young he is. He will initially begin playing for the Primavera, but this is a quality, affordable signing for the future.