Abstract Tube brings a new platform for educational image and video sharing

Abstract Tube is an online platform to mostly upload video abstracts from journal papers, conference posters, books or even theses.

83

But the founder Sarbojeet Jana says, the platform will also allow image uploads. The images, he says, could be from posters presented in conferences to individual graphs from failed experiments. He also encourages college students to create a graphical abstract for thesis in case they are not ready to create and upload a video abstract for their thesis.

The founder Sarbojeet Jana expressed that he presented posters and papers in different conferences throughout his educational carrier. But there is no platform to upload those posters so that someone in the same research field could cite that poster title. In general, student symposiums request for poster submissions in different colleges but most of the times, all the hard copy of the posters go missing after the symposium is over. And those symposiums last for only 2-3 days maximum. As Jana says, when a professor or student puts in their resume that he/ she presented a poster in xyz conference but there's no real evidence of that work, this platform will help abridge that gap. Other than the conference posters, and graphical abstracts, a student can also upload a class lecture in an infographic format. That infographic could help another prospective student understand better in easier terms. Those infographics can also be cited when a student will write a review of a topic on the same topic.

The reason of having a dedicated platform for video abstracts is that there is no such platform existed now in the internet. Some journal publishers allow video abstracts in their website but if an article gets rejected from that publisher, the author has to upload the video abstract in Youtube or Vimeo. As Jana says, finding video abstracts by author or journal or year in youtube is not possible. It's easy to upload a video in youtube but it's hard to keep track of and there are less people looking for that video because of "no keywords used" or "video title is not optimized for finding" and so on.

Abstract Tube founder says as the millennial generation is embracing photo and video sharing as their way of perceiving and passing data, Abstract Tube would be so helpful for the new generation students, professors and researchers. Old professors in academia might take this as an odd approach.

Another important aspect of Abstract Tube is that they will allow citation option for all the contents so that it's easier to cite any material. This will also help in citation building of research work other than published articles found online. Citation building in academia is considered as the yardstick of acknowledgement. If a failed experiment never gets published anywhere, it goes into waste. Nobody would know the cause of a failed experiment. But if a researcher could put the graphs from the failed experiment, it's helpful to not make the mistake again by another researcher in the same domain. Jana proclaims that these failed data should also be cited, may be in literature review or in introduction. As he says that a successful experiment always starts with a failed attempt but failed attempts are never mentioned in our traditional journalism.

In an article published earlier this year by ColumbusCEO.com, Chloe Teasley mentioned that "Jana envisions Abstract Tube allowing users to make the videos right there on the site. While this is not a new service, Jana wants to make it cheaper."