Above The Ordinary Man Apparel: A Brand That Inspires

ATOM apparel is hoping to take the lifestyle streetwear industry by storm, inspiring lives along the way!

160
Facebook: Above the Ordinary Man

Nobody wants to wake up and think, "Today I'm going to be mediocre." A new clothing brand, Above the Ordinary Man, aims to make sure people never feel that way. It's an action sports and lifestyle brand that hopes to convey a message of inspiration and ambition to each and every one of its customers. The founder and creator, Bryan McGee, hails from Winston-Salem, NC, but he hopes to bring his brand and his message to people around the world.

1.Give a quick bio about yourself.

My name is Bryan McGee and I’m 21 years old with an unusual mindset that most people my age do not have. I tend to catch myself spending more time than the average person researching and figuring out ways to become successful. The first step to my success is finishing technical college at Forsyth Technical Community College. The next thing I have in mind is to get up and move to California, where dreams meet reality. I know everything is easier said than done, but I could honestly tell you: Success is unlimited. I spend most of my free time working out, golfing, and spending time with good friends and business partners. I’ve been learning to pick up books on others' success when I have some spare time, but there is not one thing that compares to me spending time on my clothing line. It means the world to me and makes me strive to not only better myself, but to help create something for people to enjoy and to relate to. I could honestly say that it's what makes me happy at the end of the day, and it’s my purpose on this earth.

2. Where did you get the idea for ATOM?

Funny story when it comes to the idea behind ATOM... I was actually at this guy's house with a buddy of mine, and I later found out this guy had his own clothing brand. I was honestly inspired by this guy and the moves he was making. The guy had already collaborated with Adidas before even truly becoming anything. I took the idea and the motivation behind his brand and immediately had an epiphany. I decided right then and there that I wanted to create a brand that truly made people feel like they were a part of something. I sat there for weeks trying to come up with a name or even an idea for my brand name. Finally, after two and half months passed by I was sitting at another buddy's house and we were just sitting there watching TV when all a sudden my heart just dropped and I screamed the name, "ATOM!" to my buddy. He was totally lost on what I was even talking about. Once I told him what I was talking about, he loved it. I just needed to figure out what ATOM was going to stand for and how I could reiterate a meaning for it throughout my brand. I then came up with "Above the Ordinary Man," and right then and there I knew I was different from everyone, and I knew I had a plan and a destination.

3. What type of clothing brand is ATOM?

ATOM is a skate/streetwear brand for those who skate and snowboard, and also for those that follow the meaning behind the brand and enjoy the clothes.

4.What is the brand message?

This is the part that breaks me down to the tee. ATOM, aka "Above the Ordinary Man," is not merely a brand to put a shirt on people's backs, but it's a brand to make people feel like they're a part of something and that they're not alone. I strongly believe that to be successful you have to go out of your comfort zone and strive to be nothing but extraordinary. It might sound corny at first, but when you start to think about how many people settle and don't reach their full potential, it's kind of sad. This brand is not only a way for me to express myself, to create something and to put it on a t-shirt to sell, but at heart I truly want to help give people a piece of myself and my brand as a whole. I want people to realize when you strive and grind hard, anything is possible and it all starts with you. Do you want that new car? Do you want that new phone? Oh I forgot, I bet you want that first-class round trip to go to the Caribbean for a week. These things are not a reality for most. I can tell you they are for those who want it bad enough and when I mean bad enough I mean willing to actually take the time to make it happen. I think highly of everyone, and you never know what people are experiencing. I just want people to go above and beyond to be the best they can be. So when people ask me what my brand is about, all I tell them it is for those who never want to live an ordinary day in their life.

5.What aspects of your life have influenced your idea for ATOM?

It has mostly been people that get down on themselves, people that struggle daily, and people that give in or give up on everything. We all live for different reasons, but at the end of the day we all still have a reason. I have seen so much wasted talent and potential in my life so far that it kind of disgusted me. I never understood why people would just waste talent that someone else would kill for. Everyone does not grow up the same nor has the same background for support. All you need is you, and I cannot emphasize that enough. I told myself, “Bryan, this will never work unless you have faith in yourself and this brand,” so to me success is crucial. Do not get me wrong; I want a big house and nice cars and nice things, but it will never take away from what started it all. This company is everything to me, and I will do whatever it takes to get an opportunity at the spotlight that it deserves.

6.When is the Spring/Summer 2016 line going to be released and how can people order?

Hopefully in the next two to three weeks I will have everything out on my website @ atomapparel.com or abovetheordinaryman.com. Please go check out all our new work!

7.What is your vision for ATOM as you move forward?

My vision is limitless right now. After I finish school and get everything into place, I will then gradually take steps towards moving out to an area where street brands thrive. For the next year or so, I just need to worry about getting my products in skate shops, boutiques, online retailers, and most importantly showing out for events. I have to continue giving my customers and potential customers sticky content to check out and keep them connected with the brand. I always go on a three-five year plan. I cannot predict the future, but I sure have learned to create it.