The ABCs Of March Madness

The ABCs Of March Madness

C is for champion.

612
The ABCs Of March Madness
NCAA Instagram

March is here, and with that means the most exciting month in College Basketball, a stretch of action known as "March Madness." March is always the end goal of any collegiate team in all corners of America, playing for their lives in front of packed arenas with the mantra: Survive and Advance. This Sunday, the brackets will be revealed, and 68 of the best teams in the nation will scramble across the country and go for glory.

A is for At-Large Bids

Each conference tournament champion gets in the NCAA Tournament automatically. Whenever a team who doesn't win their conference tournament gets into the large tournament, it is known as an at-large bid. Because Miami did not win the ACC last year, they were an at-large team.

B is for Bracket

When the teams are revealed, the bracket shows who plays who, and show the winners of game X play the winners of game Y. When this is revealed, millions of people will fill out their own bracket to show how they feel it will all play out.

B is also for Buzzer Beater

When a player shoots a game-tieing or game-winning shot with no time left when the shot goes through the basket, it is a buzzer beater. March Madness is known for historic buzzer beaters, most recently when Kris Jenkins's shot beat North Carolina in the title game two years ago.

C is for Cinderella

When a relatively unknown team makes it much farther in the tournament that everyone is expecting, they are known as a cinderella team. Butler University and Virginia Commonwealth (VCU) are examples of double-digit seeds to go all the way to the final four, thus are classic cinderella stories.

D is for Dance

A slang term for the tournament is the "Big Dance" or "Dance." That is why a cinderella team is called a cinderella because they crashed the dance.

E is for Elimination

The big danceis a war because two teams are fighting for their season each game. If a team wins, they advance, but if a team loses, they are eliminated and their season ends. It can be very sudden, like when Miami's season last year was going great until it fell apart at once against Michigan State and poooff the season was over.

F is for Football Domes

Because the championship games have so much demand, they are often played in huge domes meant for football. While more people can attend the game, the top row is not an ideal place to watch the game unfold on a small basketball court.

G is for George Mason

George Mason was the first modern cinderella. People mistook the team name for a player's name. But they went to the final four in 2006 under the direction of their head coach, Jim Larranaga...

H is for Half-Court Shot

One of the most iconic moments in basketball is when any player hits a shot halfway between both baskets. It generally only happens at the end of halves or games, but its rarity makes it special.

J is for Joe Lunardi

The "Bracketologist" makes his predictions for the tournament before the brackets are released and continue his analysis thought the whole tournament. He is a well-regarded resource for any fan, from casual to hoops geeks.

L is for Larranaga

Jim Larranaga? Didn't I just mention him? Yep, after guiding George Mason through their improbable run, he found his way to Miami and remains our fantastic coach. Here, he is celebrating the Cane's win in the 2013 ACC Championship.

M is for Mid-Major

A mid-major is a program that is good enough to compete in the tournament despite being a smaller school or from a weaker conference. Florida Gulf Coast is a mid-major who often makes the NCAA Tournament.

N is for National Champion

Each team who makes it in dreams of cutting down the nets and raising a banner in their arena, celebrating a national championship. North Carolina won last year's championship.

P is for Play-in Game

Every year in Dayton, Ohio the play-in games are played. Eight borderline tournament teams are given a last-minute chance to get themselves into the main event, you win, you're in.

R is for RPI

The best way to make sure you're in the tournament is by having an elite rating percentage index, better known as an RPI. This number ranges from .000 to 1.000 with the higher number being better. The number goes up by winning games and doing them against teams who also win their games.

R is also for Regions

Each team is seeded (see below) 1-16. There are 4 regions, each with its own set of 16 teams. The winner of region gets to advance to the final four.

S is for Seed

Each team gets a magic number as they head into the tournament. A good team is likely to be closer to 1, while the teams got weaker and weaker as their seed falls all the way through 16. A 1 seed will play a 16, a 2 plays a 15, a 3 plays a 14, all the way to the 8-9 contest.

S is also for Snub

When a team who may get in, or is confident they will make the tournament is cut and is not selected it is called a snub. Most teams who believe they're tournament bound have selection show watch parties the players and fans, so snubbed teams end up showing their reactions for the world to see.

T is for True Seed

Because more than 16 teams obviously make the tournament, a team's seed is not reflective of how they stand nationally. All 68 teams receive a 1-16 seed and a true, 1-68 seed. This picture shows that Miami had a #10 true seed two years ago.

U is for Upset

In order for a team to be a cinderella, they must pull off multiple upsets. An upset is one game where a much lower seed defeats a more well-known, higher seeded team. There has never been a 16 seed to beat a 1 seed, but several 15 seeds have advanced, like two years ago when tiny Middle Tennessee knocked off college basketball blueblood Michigan State.

W is for Women's Basketball

Women's Basketball is a growing sport that has their own version of March Madness. There have been some incredible games in the Women's Final Four. One of the best game I have ever seen (Women's or Men's) was last year's final four game between UConn and Mississippi State. UConn's winning streak was in the triple didgets, but Mississippi State hit a buzzer beater to clinch one of the biggest upsets in the sport's history.