ABC's ‘The Good Doctor’ Continues To Break Barriers

The show recently earned Freddie Highmore his first Golden Globe Award nomination.
197

I seriously don't know how to survive Mondays anymore now that ABC's "The Good Doctor" has finally concluded with its midseason finale. But all is well because the show did leave Freddie Highmore, who plays Shaun Murphy, with his first Golden Globe Award nomination. The actor has been passed on many times- might I add unjustly- for many major awards despite his stellar performance as Norman Bates on A&E's "Bates Motel." ABC has finally granted Highmore much-deserved recognition for his acting.

The day "The Good Doctor" premiered its pilot episode I was left in awe by the sophistically painted character, Shaun Murphy, a character who continues to break boundaries and typical stereotypes associated with autism. The show went even farther by including an autistic patient, played by the autistic actor, Coby Bird, in the episode "22 Steps." That was inspiring and a real life break in the glass ceiling for autism-related stereotypes. The show has thus far shown us a spectrum of emotions from our beloved character ranging from love, fear, anxiety, and pure relief.

In the end, it spins off with an unlikely ordeal: the mental breakdown of Dr. Murphy after an encounter with Dr. Glassman. I know a lot of my friends were really annoyed at that portrayal of Shaun, but I personally think that the breakpoint was definitely very important for Shaun's journey further in the series. The point is that regardless of Shaun's autism, Dr. Murphy and many doctors around the globe can and do have breakdowns. Whether that makes them or breaks them depends entirely on the circumstances. That just goes to show that doctors too are merely human. Highmore's portrayal of that catharsis was on point. Shaun had all of these social encounters and tried to place himself in the shoes of other people by trying to interpret social clues. His emotions, in the end, were a portrayal of that. Glassman has been suggesting that he needs help, and he just wants to be heard.

Furthermore, due to the tensions in production business with regards to many brewing sexual harassment allegations and the "Me Too" movement, ABC did not fail to address that such issues can arise in any sort of professional field. This was the case with Dr. Claire Brown being harassed by a senior doctor. She was afraid to speak up like many people are, and in doing so, she revealed to Jared her concern of being fired due to the allegation. Jared was then fired because he physically assaulted his senior, in his attempt to stand up for Claire.

I can't wait to see how ABC will pull these ends together on January 8th, when the series will return on air.