A (Wo)man's Best Friend

A (Wo)man's Best Friend

A dog is more than just a pet, they're family, and your best friend.

169

There would be times when I wouldn't want to get out of bed.

I would lay in bed, in the dark, staring aimlessly at my laptop or my phone waiting for the day to end.

But then I would hear the low rumble down the stairs, the rush of speed through the basement, before feeling the weight dip in my bed, a soft panting followed.

Boomer is his name. My dog.

He's a mutt, not a purebred store-bought dog. A mutt we fostered from the shelter.

We were told that we would watch over him until someone wanted him, but if nobody wanted him by the end of the year we could keep him.

And we did.

It was a little heartbreaking to know that nobody wanted him, but knowing that I got to keep him made up for that small void in my heart.

When we first brought him home he ran through the backyard with our other dog, Harley- a female boxer who probably was annoyed that she had to share the spotlight of attention now.

But the two clicked and became best pals.

You see, the saying 'a man's best friend' when referring to their dog isn't just a saying, it's true.

My dog is there for me in ways people can't.

Days when not even my mother could get me out of bed, he would.

He knows that some days are okay to stay in bed and sleep, because he sure does like to take up the bed and snooze all day, but he also knows when it's time to get up and do something with my life.

It's been hard being away from him due to college, but it just makes it all more worth the wild coming home.

Having him beg for dozens of treats throughout the day and sleep in my bed beside me are my favorite things.

He's the best dog, he's my dog.

To those of you who are wondering if adopting a dog is for you, trust me, it is.

Adopting not just the newest addition to your family but soon your best friend is by far the greatest thing life has to offer.