A Special Tribute To Running

A Special Tribute To Running

Exercise during quarantine can be worth the sweat...

65
A Special Tribute To Running

Running has always had a special place in my heart. It was healing and became inspirational to me in so many different ways. Ever since I was diagnosed with anorexia, I always looked for an outlet to where I could express myself freely without judgement. I just wanted a space place to be myself and running gave me that. The thoughts of feeling insecure about myself would disappear just as the wind blew and hit my face, bringing me back to conscience.

The moment before going for a run is exhilarating. It feels as if you are competing for something. Like your life is on the line. There is nothing to lose. Well, I didn't want to lose to my insecurities. Running wasn't there to erase my insecurities, it was there to help me be able to face them. The feeling of breaking free from any unwanted thoughts as soon as the cold breeze hits me on a sunny morning in November is the most perfect way to start my day. Every time I run, I know I am the one saving myself…

Even in the days when I was very thin and a bit physically weak, I still found joy in running. Knowing that every step, every mile would take me someplace greater, brought me happiness. With every mile I completed, I remember always having a huge grin, knowing that I am one step closer to becoming a better version of my frail self.

Running is something that can save people. It brings life to people who may be struggling or in desperation. This may be why we see people "running" away from bad things rather than going towards it. The kind of thing that running has done to me, is what exercise during this pandemic would do to so many people who are struggling. The pandemic has shaken things up and made it more emotionally and mentally draining for people across the world. But we don't have to let that be the end of it. Despite the hardships we may have at the moment, maybe we could try using exercise as a way to better relax and stimulate our senses to better cope with the amount of stress.

What we don't realize about exercise is how it can heal people. It's an elixir that can give people the strength to fight whatever demons they may have inside. Exercise is basically a potion you take everyday until you see the changes it has made both physically and emotionally, until you realize you don't have to take it anymore.

The one thing running has taught me, is to never give up. It was a reminder to stay true to my battles until I found a way to become victorious in my strength. I would like to one day see the same happen for many other people who are suffering from this pandemic. That it is okay to keep going. That one day, they will find the light at the end of the tunnel. But most important of all, that they haven't lost the fight yet.

I pay my tribute to running and exercise with the story of how running

saved me, when no one else can. When I was at my most desperate mental breakdowns, running was one of the things that kept me sane and took me to another dimension. Maybe that is how most of us feel right now. We want to be taken someplace where we can just become free from the torment and angst we have in our minds.