A Mysterious Disease Closely Linked To COVID-19 Is Affecting Kids And It's Getting Serious

As kids are going through an even tougher phase combined with mental health dilemmas and this rare COVID-19 related disease, parents must take care of their kids even more and follow up with their pediatricians if needed

14

COVID-19 has rapidly turned our world upside down and there is still no guarantee as to when exactly the world will return to normalcy. Sometimes, I wonder when will this nightmare end because this type of global pandemic has returned after 102 years. As a matter of fact, the world was struck by such a horrendous global pandemic back in 1918 during the Spanish flu outbreak. Keeping this historical fact in mind, I begin to console myself thinking that this was indeed destined to happen and that we will steadily start to overcome it as time progresses. However, just how much of life will remain the same as before remains the burning question? Recently, there has reportedly been medical cases of infants and children being affected by PIMS, which stands for Pediatric Inflammatory Multi-system Syndrome in Children's Hospital Los Angeles and in New York too.

These children have been experiencing inflammatory symptoms in their blood vessels, heart, eyes, and skin while all of these are alluding to the PIMS which most likely stems from the rare Kawasaki disease. However, doctors have begun to discern that the two illnesses are slightly different from each other.

For instance, the Mayo Clinic defines Kawasaki disease as an inflammatory disease that predominantly affects the cardiac system in children oftentimes leading to acquired heart disease. But this rare disease may be linked to COVID-19. Surprisingly, the children who are suffering from PIMS have been COVID-19 victims previously and this is connecting the two illnesses together. This case is still under investigation and has emerged as one of the trending headlines in conjunction with the novel coronavirus.

According to Dr. Steven Kernie from pediatric critical care medicine from Columbia University and NY Presbyterian Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital, informed The New York Times that this novel inflammatory illness targets the heart and blood vessels. Another key point that he pointed out was that kids have started going through a toxic shock coincided with low blood pressure along with the reduced ability of the blood required for oxygen and nutrient circulation.

Likewise, children who have experienced this rare syndrome have tested positive for the coronavirus earlier thereby providing the crux behind their relationship. As of right now, there has not been a crystal clear prognosis regarding this linkage but scientists, doctors, and the entire Medical community are working on finding the answers to this puzzling question.

In addition, Dr. Kernie has mentioned that children are more susceptible to this disease compared to adults because their immune systems are not fully developed and are still developing. Apparently, this rare disease hasn't been proven to have a genetic basis but genetic testing is currently doing the rounds to further assess this possible idea. With this mind, some arrays of treatment do include the use of antibiotics, steroids, high-dosage of aspirin, intravenous immunoglobulin, and supportive oxygen.

Furthermore, children have also been psychologically affected by the global pandemic as it canceled their going to school and playing with friends. This has not been an easy transition for kids especially and my heart truly goes out to them. I remember how much I enjoyed going to school and playing with friends when I was a kid. On top of that, remote learning has its perks and downfalls to it too. No matter how effective the digital age will get, we will always miss our old-school teachings and classroom experience! Face-to-face interactions were always a part of our societal norms and a fantastic way to socialize. Now, that has been replaced with live video chats and Facetimes 24/7 and that is a "new normal" for many of us. In order to develop fully, children require schooling and interactions with their peers. This has been a life-changing experience for them in a plethora of ways.

As kids are going through an even tougher phase combined with mental health dilemmas and this rare COVID-19 related disease, parents must take care of their kids even more and follow up with their pediatricians if needed.

Doing this will promote the safety and wellbeing of children and make life a bit easier for them to tackle!