Why I Love Being A Morning Person

I'm The Morning Person Who LOVES Waking Up At 6:45 A.M. Instead Of Hitting Snooze

Why being a morning person isn't so bad after all.

31

It's the crack of dawn, and you hear the alarm go off. You need to get up soon for your early morning classes, but the snooze button is staring you in the face. Most people hit snooze or prefer later classes so they can stay up late and sleep in. I, however, am not one of those people.

Call me crazy, but I love my 8:30 a.m. classes. If they had 7 a.m, classes, I would be sitting in the front row with my notebooks and laptop ready to go. Being a morning person may sound like the worst thing in the world to others, but it really has its perks.

First of all, I grew up as a morning person. During the school year, I would take my time to get ready in the mornings. During the summers, my mom would wake me to watch my younger siblings. At the time I thought, "Don't most children sleep in extremely late? Do I really have to be up at 6 in the morning?"

So, I never really had time to sleep in, and I am actually very happy that I didn't. Being a morning person has so many benefits, and I have loved every second of being an early bird.

First and foremost, being a morning person has a large impact on your health. Our bodies adjust to our sleep schedules. Sleeping in and waking up at different times on the daily can affect how we feel during the day. Another health benefit is that you have time to eat breakfast. So many people, students in particular, skip out on breakfast. This may sound repetitive, but breakfast is incredibly important to get your body nourished and started for the day. We need the nourishment for our bodies and the food to carry us over the next few hours while we take part in clubs, activities, working or going to class and paying attention.

I typically wake up around 6:45 on weekdays and weekends. This has a huge impact on my day because I spend time getting ready, but I also feel very productive at this time. This early in the morning, most of campus is silent and everyone, for the most part, is still asleep. During this time, I can get homework done without disruptions from other people in the study rooms or the hallways. This has especially proven so on the weekends as well. I venture my way to Starbucks or the library around 7 a.m., and I have a plethora of places to sit and work for hours on studying/homework.

As I said before, waking up at the same time every day isn't as harsh on your body as changing your sleep schedule daily. Another benefit of waking up at the same time is routine. I don't know about other people, but I like to have a relatively organized schedule or else my mind is wandering about what to do next, and/or I find myself going out of my mind. Having a routine makes days seem less stressful. I know when I am going to wake up and what I will be doing in that time, and that prompts me to plan the rest of my days accordingly.

One advantage of having a morning routine and being productive is that your evenings aren't as busy. Being productive during the morning/day time gets assignments done, and therefore you have more free time.

Finally, as I close out this article, I had to mention one of nature's wonders about morning hours that I enjoy. Sunrises! Sunrises are wonderful to watch and put me in a great mood for the rest of the morning. As geeky as it sounds, it makes me feel more positive.

Maybe you'll try being a morning person after reading this article, or maybe you'll continue to hit the snooze button in the morning. But either way, being an early bad isn't as bad as people make it out to be!