Decorating Your Room On A Budget
Life Stages

5 Things A Minimalist Can Use To Decorate Their Room

Here are a few ways you can make your room a little more "home-y".

495

Just before I started high school, my family moved into a bigger house. This lead to a new living room, new midnight trips to the bathroom, and the idea to reinvent my personal space... Or so I thought.

My mom never saw the point in letting me truly decorating my room since I was only going to be there for four more years. Yes, I can see her point, but I also regret not having one of those scatter-brained collages all over my smoky purple walls. However, being in college has motivated me to use the space I have, despite getting a late start on decorating (I'm a senior).

So here are 5 things you can use to make your room more comfortable, interchangeably with your aesthetic, without looking like a paper maché catastrophe.

1. Tapestries

While some people think tapestries are tacky, I beg to differ. They take up space so you don't have to clutter your walls with mix-matched posters that will end up beaten up from years of taking them down and putting them back up. Tapestries are one of the few things that have a longer lifespan and can be washed if they somehow get dirty. You can't do that with your posters! Cheap places to find tapestries are Amazon, RedBubble, and Urban Outfitters.

2. Canvases/Paintings

Homemade creations can be wonderful additions to your space. They can really reflect your color scheme and things you're interested in. Canvases at Walmart typically go between $5-$12, depending on size, and paint is also pretty cheap. Pinterest and other websites have a lot of ideas that one can use!

However, if you're not artistically inclined or you are a bit timid about the idea of painting, regular canvases that are already painted on can sell for pretty cheap at your local Gabe's or thrift store.

3. Fairy Lights

I know, it seems like everyone has these in their bedroom. They add a certain "tumblr-esque" vibe to your living space, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It adds more lighting, takes up more blank wall space, and contributes to a dreamy atmosphere that a lot of people like. They're also pretty inexpensive, especially in the off-Christmas season, and can be found almost anywhere.

Hopefully, your son won't try to contact you from the Upside down through them, though. That's what Winona Ryder is for.

4. Mirrors

While mirrors can be creepy depending on which horror movie you watch, they also had space to a room. It gives the illusion that your room is larger than it is and they also have really cool frames. I have a few small ones hanging up in my room that are cheaply made and plastic framed, but they add a maturity to your space. (And who knows? Maybe this is how your future house will look.) They also can help you do a last-minute check before you leave for work.

5. Photographs

Before you say "How can this chick get any more Tumblr?", hear me out. Who doesn't like photos of memories that you have with your family and friends? Sure, you don't have to be in them, for those who don't like photographs, but that doesn't mean that your memories can't stand with just the people you were with. Save a small space on your wall for a collage of photographs or polaroids, just to add an even more personal touch. You won't regret it, and the friends that walk in will love it, too. While polaroids can be expensive, it is cheap to get your photos printed at a Walgreens or other drugstore.

You don't have to take all of my advice. You can take some and ignore the rest. This all depends on your taste. No matter what you go with or how your room looks, make sure you like it. That's the most important part.

Also, clean your room every once in a while. You'll feel better.