A Little Introduction to Time-lapse Photography

In time lapse photography, you need a moderate amount of light to fall on the sensor. The use of other filters might affect the color balance and it has the potential to degrade the image quality

1190

Photography is all about expressing what is there in your mind. And there is a wide range of types in photography that let photographers do it in the way they want.

We are going to talk about one of the most creative and fascinating genres i.e. time lapse photography. This type of photography involves a touch of creativity and precise skills. No matter how much effort you need to put in here but the result is so charming that it would bring a smile to your face. Before we talk about anything else, let us discuss the fundamentals.

What is time-lapse photography?

We should talk about one important thing here. It is very important for you to discuss the difference between time lapse photography and time-lapse movie. Time-lapse movies shoot several frames to contain in a video. This is an expression of describing movement at a fast pace. But the process of photography is quite different. In the process of photography, the overall process of shooting photos is slowed down to capture the moment in a way you want.

In order to portray motion through the still image, you need to slow down the shutter speed. Even if you are a beginner, there is plenty of help you might get from specific applications, time-lapse calculators, etc. Since we are done with the fundamental definition of time-lapse photography, let us talk about other concepts.

Set of equipment needed in this process

Before you get started with any photography, you need the right equipment. Here, we are going to list some of the basic elements needed in this process.

Camera and a tripod

Many people also use point-and-shoot cameras and get promising results. But you will get better results in every situation if you use DSLR or mirrorless professional cameras. And it is impossible to do time-lapse photography without a tripod. In earlier days, photographers used external intervalometers. It was simply software that they needed to install in their camera. But now things have changed. Most of the modern cameras have this feature built-in. So, there is no need to talk about the intervalometer in advance.

High-grade memory cards

Large chunks of data are involved in this process as the camera takes multiple high-quality images back to back. Being short on memory space is the biggest inconvenience you could face in this process.

Neutral-density filters

There is a large number of filters available in the market but you need one that doesn't affect the color balance. In time lapse photography, you need a moderate amount of light to fall on the sensor. The use of other filters might affect the color balance and it has the potential to degrade the image quality. So, going for neutral-density filters is the only option.

Final words

Talking about every aspect involved in this process is beyond the scope of this article. But we have managed to give you a glimpse into the fundamentals involved in this process. Let us see how this article impacts your time-lapse photography skills.